Denon 2803 vs Marantz 7300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by sairam, Jun 1, 2003.

1. sairam

sairam Auditioning

Hello,
    How does the Denon 2803 compare to the Marantz 7300??
    I am looking at buying one of the two.
    Any input appreciated.

Thanks
    Sairam.

2. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

These two are very close in sound and features. One difference off the top of my head is that the Denon has a phono pre-amp, the Marantz does not. Otherwise, they are very similar (same company after all). However, I would favor the Marantz because it does have a better power supply, which I think would be an advantage over the long run.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 7300 is more of a direct match with the 3803, in which case, I'd say you are better off with the 7300. Do a search on the 7300, there have been some complaints about a high pitch "whine" with the 7300, though I have auditioned 2 of them and there was no problem with them.

4. Doro

Doro Agent

Good comment, the 7300 is nice, so is the 2803, edge 7300. I personally have never been a fan of Marantz, liked Denon for many years, but they do have alot of substance, just a bad name(IMO) Certainly a strong performer.

I know a friend that had a aged Marantz receiver that would play at so high a volume, for hours on end, you could cook eggs on the heatsinks, but it rocked sweetly for ten years....thats a keeper in my book.