Denon 2803 Vs. H/K 325? Which is better overall?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by salim_N, Aug 22, 2003.

1. salim_N

salim_N Extra

I've narrowed it down to these two. Ruled out the 1804. I really like the HK 325. It has nice features like Ezset and seems to have great warm, neutral sound and power won't be an issue for the HK in terms of diving my Energys. Right?.I found the HK 325 refurbished for $389 by an Authorized dealer and for $509 from etronics. They have the Denon 2803 for $549 but there's the issue of the warranty but they said if anything goes wrong I can send It back and they'll have it repaired by Denon. So should I go with the refurbished 325? Seems like a great deal but if HK is souch great quality, why are there so many refurbed units around? Which one is the better investment?
    Speakers:Energy Take 5.2's

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I like the HK's better, although that Denon is kind of on-par with that reciever I still like HK.

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

If you're considering the purchase of an H/K receiver, why not look at a refurbished 525? They are currently $511 at OneCall plus shipping.

4. salim_N

salim_N Extra

So you think The extra $150 for the 525 is worth it for the extra 20W x 7? 'Cause thats the only substantial difference I see between the 325 & 525. I can get a new denon 2803 for the about the same price as the hk 525.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

6. David G Greene

David G Greene Stunt Coordinator

Harman Kardon

[​IMG]

7. AlbertA

AlbertA Stunt Coordinator

8. Jason Brent

Jason Brent Second Unit

FWIW the EZSet feature is not that great IMO.

I've used it many times and it gets different results all the time. Much better results with the RS Meter.

I think the 525 also decodes HDCD, but that's not a big deal either.

I haven't listened to the 325, but I suspect there is an audible difference the the 20 watts. Especially at higher volumes.

9. brandon*b

brandon*b Extra

I recently purchased the refurbished 325 online and am extremely satisfied. In short, this receiver rocks. I love the features, plenty of power and nice design. I have it coupled with an upper-end set of Infinity speakers, and I definitly have plenty of power in reserve. I guess more reserve with the 525 would be nice, but I am extremely satisfied and do not regret going with the 325 over the 525.

10. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

You really should try to audition if you can.