Denon 2803 refurb vs. H/K 525 refurb

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NileDB, Jan 9, 2004.

1. NileDB

NileDB Extra

Thanks everyone for your advice thus far, it has been great. I have narrowed my receiver search down to 2 different models, currently available as refurbs for the same money. Both have several "pros", but I'm more concerned with the "cons" at this point. I have seen that the Denon's power rating may be overstated and I have read about several H/K quality issues. For me, I'd rather have a less powerful, dependable component than one I need to worry about every time I turn it on and might have to return. Should I be that worried about the H/K? Any further help would be appreciated.

2. John S

John S Producer

Have you auditioned either one? or both?

If you can try to do this, I would certainly get the one I thought sounded the best.

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Nile,

Not sure what type of prices you are getting on the refurbed Harman Kardon but www.onecall.com has an exeptional deal, IMO, for the 525 right now.

See: http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_17140.htm

I think either receiver would be nice but as John said, take a listen for yourself.

Good luck,
    Brian

4. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Go with the onecall deal. I paid $75 more for mine and THAT was a good price. If you don't mind paying the extra $75 and want to be sure you can return it at anytime if you are not completely satisfied, buy it from costco.com.