Denon 2803 - enough power?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike Newt, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Mike Newt

Mike Newt Auditioning

I am planning on purchasing a Denon 2803 to replace some aging equipment. Looking down the road, I will also replace my speakers, starting with the mains and center, probably with B&W 602's or Paradigm Monitor 5's. My room is approximately 20' x 20', has 8' ceilings, and is carpeted. Will the 2803 have enough power to drive speakers of this size? What if I go up to B&W 602.5's or Paradigm Monitor 7's? I can't realistically consider any bigger speakers due to budget and WAF, so if the 2803 can handle these, I should be in good shape.

2. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Hi Mike

I have a 2801 and it has enough to drive my all my NHT's. So I would think it would be enough to drive eather of the speaker setups you are thinking about. And I believe they have increased it power to over 100x5 or is it 6. Hope this helps. Mike

3. Mike Newt

Mike Newt Auditioning

Mike,

According to the Denon site and the owners manual, the 2803 outputs 90 watts/channel, 7 channels. This assumes 8 ohm speakers, which is why I was considering the speakers I mentioned. My room isn't extremely large, and while it has a few oddities, I would hope that 90 watts would be more than enough. Thanks for your response.