Denon 2803 and ProLogic II issues

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John KB, Jun 7, 2003.

1. John KB

John KB Second Unit

I have a satellite hooked up to my receiver via opt. link. I find the using ProLogic II cinema or music distorts the talking. It is perfect through the center channel, but though all the surrounds, you can hear the talking very faintly and it sounds a bit mumbled and there is slight static to the voice. As I mentioned the voice is very faint, I guess it's slight re verb since the voice shouldn't be coming through the surrounds anyway. Is this normal? It's fine when I play a cd, so everything should be hooked up all right.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Is it this way on every channel? Or is it on just certain things? Sure sounds like a poorly recorded/encoded/transmitted/decoded signal. By running your CD, and it's working fine, kinda leads me to the conclusion that there's something less than it should be on the incoming sat. signal.

Still, it could be the receiver. Does it work ok on DTS:Neo? I'd also try the 2 ch. analog sat. outputs and see if the same problem occurs.

3. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Thanks, It is the same with Dts Neo. I'll try the 2 ch analog, but shouldn't the optical digital be better? It's supposedly a digital signal. I'll try anyway though.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Well, in theory the digital should be cleaner. But that doesn't mean there's not a problem with your sat box's digital output. The analog test will help to verify whether or not your 3803 has any surround chip troubles.

Although I am leaning toward the sat signal or the box's digital output being the issue, another thought I have is that the 3803 could need a processor reset. After all, it is a computer controlled unit. And reboots can cure many ills for computers, right? It has been well documented that a reset can cure some odd operating quirks. The reset procedure is detailed in the back part of the 3803's manual. (Be warned though, it does reset everything, FM presets, level settings and all.)

5. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

Digital satellite and cable services use very low data rates, much lower than recommended for these coders in many cases (but not all--the rates for each channel can be different). So the coding artifacts are being exposed as a gurgling sound. It's audible in stereo or surround, but the better systems expose the faults better. If you isolate the surrounds or L/R speakers while dialog is strong, it is even easier to hear these unwanted side effects.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your decoder. Your best defense is to make sure the channels are balanced--the center is not too low wrt others, the surrounds are not too loud. That's won't fix it, just minimize it. Only a lot of complaints to the service provider might help, but this is the tradeoff for 200+ channels.

6. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    John,

I have a "cheapie" DirecTV receiver (no digital out) conneced to an inexpensive Sherwood receiver, and I've noticed this same thing. As Roger has stated, the low-bitrate audio compression used by Dish/DirecTV results in audibly inferior sound quality. (The video quality isn't particularly good either, but that's a topic for another day.)

I can notice it even with stereo playback, but it's more obvious when switching in a matrix decoder (Prologic, Prologic II, Neo 6, etc).

7. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Thanks for the advice guys. By the way, I did try the 2 ch analog, and it's the same thing. A gurgling sound is a good way to describe it also, Roger.
    Listening with a cd is fine, and a VHS is ok. I notice you can hear the voices very slightly in the surrounds when playing a VHS also, but they don't gurgle, and if music starts in the movie, the voices are then drowned out by the music. All these things I'm noticing are mostly just when my ear is pressed right up to the surround speakers.