What's new

Denon 2802 vs. Yammy HTR-5490=pros/cons of each? (1 Viewer)

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
They seem very evenly matched and I was wondering if anybody has experience with both could list the pros and cons (plus I have a few Qs)

The 5490 has a 100Hz crossover, yes?

I have heard the newer Yammys have "less bright" amps than the older units, does the 5490 qualify as this?

Does the 5490 have the DPL2 "full" adjustable music mode or DPL2 "lite" like the lower end Onkyos?

Thank you....

VicQ

Stunt Coordinator
As a current owner of the Yamaha rx-v1200 (same as the 5490 except the rx-v has pre outs and a 12 volt trigger) I can definitely recommend it over the Denon for the following features. The remote is infinitely better. You can go to the store and check it for yourself. Ergonomics is better. With the Denon, you pretty much have to have your TV on in order to navigate through the receiver's menu and options, not so with the Yamaha. The options are displayed on the front of the receiver as well. As far as sound, the Yamaha doesn't sound bright at all. If you decide to go with the Yamaha, I suggest you get the rx-v 1200 for the extra features I noted on top, rather than the 5490.

-Vic

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
It ALL depends what you are looking for. As said in Sound and Vision's latest test of the 2802, Denon focus' mainly on the cake and not the frosting as Yamaha does. The Yamaha has 44 different surround modes, really nice remote, but the SOUND just does not compare to the Denon. The Denon has a warmer more inviting sound that you won't get bored with. I must say, the Denon does NOT have the bells and whistles the 5490/1200 have, but if you want EXCELLENT sound, go with the Denon, if you want TONS of features, go with the Yamaha. Good luck!

Mike Witt

Stunt Coordinator
Can you listen to both first and then make a decision?

I just bought a 2802 and that was going from a Yamaha 995. I've only had the 2802 for a week and I'm still tweaking settings and experimenting, but I have some initial impressions for you. I think the Denon may have slightly more air in the upper midrange and in the highs than the Yamaha, SLIGHTLY more I stress. I think a little more detail is being fleshed out in these areas. But the biggest difference I am noticing is in the bass. I feel that the Denon is lacking in bass in comparision to my old 995. Now I don't have the 995 anymore to do a direct comparison, this is from memory only. But, I've noticed this on many sources. Also, remember I am still tweaking and listening and experimenting, so my impressions may change. I plan on starting a thread on this after I've had my Denon 2802 a little longer and am more sure about my impressions. I'm not saying the 2802 has no bass, just not as much as my old Yamaha 995. So, if I were you, I'd try to listen to both before you buy. That way you can buy which one sounds good to you. I think Yamaha has gotten a bad wrap for being bright - a negative connotation to be sure - while some other brands are characterized by the term warm - a positive connotation in any light. Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
try to find the receiver which matches best with your speakers...in my case, I found a yamaha (dspA1) to match much better than a denon (5600). Good luck!

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Looking to match the reciever with PSB Image 3LR mains, Image 1B surrounds and two Image 8C centers (1 each for front and rear center)

I am also looking to match these speakers up to a HSU VTF-2 sub

Again I ask, does the Yamaha have a 100hz x-over(I seem to recall the earlier Yamahas and current Marantz/Sonys are like this) ???

What are your opinions on the choice of speakers? (Paradigm Monitors were my first choice, but with no online sales, they are too expensive)

The Yammy has the fully adjustable DPL2 music mode like the Denon (but unlike the lower line Onkyo's) right??

What are the pros and cons of the 2802 over the Yammy and vice versa??

HELP!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks