Denon 2802 vs. Yamaha RX-V1300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZachW, Nov 17, 2002.

1. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

Which one of these receivers is better for pure HT use? I won't be listening to much music, and I want a receiver that will be great for HT. The equipment I have is
    JBL N28's as mains
    JBL NSP-1 as surrounds and mains
    SVS 20-39PCi

What receiver would fit best with those components? And one more thing, is the sub to big and powerful for the speakers? Will it overpower them? thanks

2. Nick Cerretti

Nick Cerretti Stunt Coordinator

You really can't go wrong with either one. I know thats the last thing you want to hear though. [​IMG]
    Look at which model offers the features you want. The receiver that offers the most you want, is most likely the best for you. I don't really think there's going to be a drastic difference sound-wise in a pure HT setting.
    I'll also say don't limit yourself to these 2 receivers, unless you've auditioned many receivers before, and already liked these two.

3. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. I like the features of the Yamaha better, but I heard they weren't as good for HT and movies. Any other opinions or personal preferences?

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've always heard the Yamaha receivers are a bit brighter and the Denon's are a bit warmer. I've also heard that the JBL Northridge series is a bit on the bright side, but not as bright as the Studio series. If this holds, you would be better off matching the Denon and your JBL's.
    I currently have the exact same speaker setup as you matched with a Denon 1803. I love it. I do turn up the treble 1 point so the dialog sounds a bit clearer, but that's the only real adjustment i've had to make (other than SPL calibration). I only wish i had the sub you do to round out my system [​IMG]
    You won't have any problems with the sub overpowering the speakers IF you properly calibrate the system with an SPL meter and calibration disc. If you calibrate the sub to the exact same level as your speakers, it may sound a bit weak. This is due to the fact that it takes more sound pressure for our ears to hear lower frequencies at the same volume. Because of this, most people end up calibrating their sub anywhere from 3 to 6 db higher than the rest of their system.
    Hope this helps.