DENON 2802 VS 3802 - Used as a preamp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Witt, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Would there be any reason to buy a 3802 over a 2802 if you are using them only as a preamp? The 2802 is a 7.1 receiver with a 2 channel amp in the rear, isn't it. Opinions please.

Thanks.

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Mike: I guess it depends on what you're looking for.
    The 3802 has a nicer remote (backlit), a 32-bit processor (vs. a 24-bit for the 2802) and a bit more power (which if you're running it as a pre/pro, you probably won't use.)
    I am running a 3802 as a 5.1 pre/pro and have been happy with it.
    The 2802 is not 7.1 as it only has one amp for the rear center. The 3802 has 7 on-board amps, so it does have 2 rear center amps (and the amps can also drive a 2nd zone/room in lieu of the normal usage.)
    A link to the product info.
    http://www.del.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=1&c=2

3. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Chuck,

I do believe the Denon 2802, while only powering one back surround channel, has pre-outputs for two such channels.

Cheers,

Mal

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Mal: True, I didn't write it the way I thought it. [​IMG] The unit is not 7.1 amp-wise. It does indeed have the pre-outs for external amps...

5. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the responses guys.

I have a backlit universal remote, so that's not an issue. If I use this receiver as a pre, the amps don't really matter. But the 24 bit vs. 32 bit processor seems to be the big difference in this scenario.

I'd like to hear these 2 side by side with external amplification to see how much difference the bits would make. Anybody heard this comparison?

6. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

The 24-bit vs. 32-bit processor shouldn't make any difference in the sound quality. It simply denotes the "width" of the data path for the DSP (the brains of the operation). Wider data paths allow for faster processing, which is necessary in receivers that have more features.

So, that shouldn't make a difference. The DACs, power supply quality, and pre-amp circuit componentry are going to give the unit its sonic character. I'd focus on the differences there. (I don't know what they are)

Todd

7. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Actually, they may be faster, but the difference is that the 2802 has a fixed 24 bit processor, and the 3802 has discrete circuits for decoding. The speed really isn't the issue, it's that the DDSC (32 bit circuit blocks) in the 3802 are supposedly better optimized, and will produce better results. Better channel seperation maybe, etc. Can you hear the difference? Maybe, if going side by side, but the 2802 just got a great review in Sound & Vision, so the 24 bit in the 2802 isn't bad!

I own the 3802, and besides the better amps, I wanted the DDSC circuitry of the 3802 vs. the 2802.

Even if I was going to use external amps, I would have gotten the 3802 for the better pre-amp.

Bryan