Denon: 2802 vs. 1803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hudson, Oct 30, 2002.

1. David Hudson

David Hudson Auditioning

A slightly different look at a familiar question. I just ordered a Denon AVR-2802 for $575. Should I be kicking myself for not settling with the AVR-1803, or is the 2802 worth the extra $75 to $100 that I spent on it?

I get an extra 10 amps and pre-amps for all channels as a bonus, but I beleive that I am losing DD-EX decoding? I've read that the 2802 does indeed decode DD-EX, but is not advertised as such... Is there a definate answer to that question?

So, should I relax and enjoy the product when I get it, or should I see about canceling the order and going for the cheaper product? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    The 2802 has 6.1 Dolby decoding, it just lacks the "official" DD EX logo. The 1803 lacks on-screen displays. I'd say you did the right thing. $575 is a great price.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I think you made the right choice[​IMG] & enjoy your new receiver [​IMG]

4. NickStan

NickStan Auditioning

I have one and love it. THere's been no real problems with it. and the sound is good for the price.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

David, just in case you didn't see it, there's a pretty good thread called "Denon 1802 better than 1803." I think it will help answer your question.

6. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

The 2802 does do DD EX and DTS EX e.t.c.. It has preouts for a 7.1 setup. It's a nice reciever and has NEVER quit working. All other recievers I tried got tired and quit working. The Onkyo I tried quit working completly due to flags on disk such a Jurrasic park 3. Good choice and a very good value.
    See my reiveiw here

7. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

oh yes ok it doesn't say DD EX but it does do it yes.

I paid 800 retail but I have a 2 year warranty good just down the road. They also gave me a free y cable and a deal on a rack for 400 dollars that was 600 dollars new. Good price you got there.