Denon 2802 Users

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Kanyak, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Frank Kanyak

Frank Kanyak Stunt Coordinator

With my Denon 2802 even though it has pre-outs for 7.1 can I somehow wire my rear center surrounds to a 4ohm load or to a 16 ohm load. I have a great deal on another pair of S-26's that I can't pass up. Will running a pair of rear centers drain power from the rest of the channels? Any advice is appreciated. I do not know if my old Technics receiver would blend in for the rears if I would go the pre-out way. Thanks!

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

You can wire them in series it no problems. Positive from reciever to pos on speaker1. neg on speaker 1 to pos on speaker 2. neg on speaker 2 to neg on reciever.

3. Frank Kanyak

So has anyone else done this? What are the main concerns that I need to worry about if any? Thanks Bobby!

4. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

Since the manual doesn't say you can do that I wouldn't try it but thats just me. You need two amplifiers to handle the preouts that can output a 4ohm or 16 ohm impedence. You could also use one amp like I am right now and hook the other speaker up to the 2802 but it needs to be 8 ohm.

Running the wrong speaker can actually hurt the reiciever I think.

5. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I ran my 2802 like this for about 7 months. The reason I stopped is because my dealer gave me all of my money back towards a 3802. When you wire in series the receiver sees a 16 ohm load which the manual says you can run. You should repost this question with the title Can I safely wire speakers in series on a 2802? That will get you more responses.

6. Frank Kanyak

Thank you!