Denon 2802 Shuts Off When Playing a DVD. Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David J Wang, Aug 23, 2002.

1. David J Wang

David J Wang Agent

I have a Denon 2802 hooked up to a Sony Wega 27KV-FS12 using component video. I have a Toshiba 2200 DVD player and a Sony PS2 both hooked up to the Denon 2802 via the Denon's two component video inputs. I was playing Godfather I on the Toshiba and all of a sudden during the scene where the old man is singing in the wedding the receiver shuts off. So I have to turn it back on and then it turns off again in 5 minutes or so. So I tried playing the DVD on the PS2 and the same thing happened except a little longer into the movie. Has anyone experienced anything like this or have any suggestions? Should I return the Denon and get it fixed?

2. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

How loud are you listening to the movie and what speakers are you running with your denon. I know in the manual to my 4802 it says if you run less than 4ohm load on the receiver for an extended time at high volumes it will trip the protector and shut down the unit. I guess its too much of a load on the machine probably producing too much heat. Anyway its just a suggestion but if its a common problem you might even have a speaker wire touching the back of the receiver or on the speaker making a little short at high loads that causes the unit to shut off. Also make sure the speaker negative and positive aren't touching anywhere. But if thats all good then you may want to go get it serviced.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Loose speaker connections would be guess. Are you using bare wire connections?

4. David J Wang

David J Wang Agent

I use banana plugs on the receiver side and bare wire on the speaker side. And when I was playing Godfather I had it at -15dB so maybe it was too loud because when I watch TV at a lesser volume I never have the receiver shut off.