Denon 2802 ??s - incl. is component bandwith sufficient

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Loomis, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

hi all.

am in the process of purchasing a receiver for my parents system (Sony KD-34xbr2 HDTV, Sony progressive scan dvd, polk 6600 speakers). I was close to set on the Denon 1802. I thought however, that they might find it tricky to switch the Video switch on the TV, and switch the receiver to DVD, so thought perhaps a receiver with component ins/outs would simplify things for them (surprising how a few extra steps can be intimidating. and I find it a touch annoying on my setup). Anyway, that brought me to the Denon 2802. But I noticed the bandwith of their component switching is 27mhz. Is that sufficient? A big price difference between the two to get that (and on screen display) so if it's not worth the price difference because it's not sufficient then, well...

on this topic, after searching the board I noticed 6th Ave. has the 2801 for $500 something, and the 2802 for $700 something. Is there much of a difference?? I've seen other online sites have the 2802 in the $500 range, but I want to be certain it's an authorized Denon dealer.

Thanks.

2. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

3. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I remember reading an article in TPV by Gary Merson which stated the minimum bandwidth needed for component video switching was 30 MHz. If I can find it I'll post an excerpt.

4. Jorge Rod

Jorge Rod Agent

So, what is the veredict? Is 27 MHz sufficient? I have been reading about $500 - $600 units for a while and was very close to go with the Denon 2802 until I saw this. I don't have a digital TV yet, but planning to buy one next year.

The opinions on the AVSforum link on this were on both sides of the fence.

Jorge

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Lou,

6ave right now has the 2802 for $575 and the 3802 for $699. I wouldn't worry too much about if there is going to be any picture quality issues, since I doubt if your parents will notice a difference.

But like what Denon says there is no real picture loss, just that the picture might become a little soft.

6. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

thanks Greg. I actually purchased the 2802 from 6ave yesterday.

I agree that I don't think they will notice a drop off in picture quality either. nor might I for that matter. I recall preparing to be blown away by the difference plugging an old Dreamcast in via S-Video over the RCA's and going "huh?" when the difference was subtle. to my eyes anyway. perhaps my senses aren't as "trained" as I'd like to think.

Phil at 6ave had a good point on this topic. He said the signal above the bandwith limit (27mhz here) does not just hit a brick wall and is not shown. Rather, the part above the limit sort of drops down. I don't know if I'm explaining it well, but the point being it does not make for a dramatic difference.

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

If I remember correctly, the 27 MHz is good enough for everything but HDTV. I believe you need 37 or 38 MHz for that...

8. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator