Denon 2802 receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by perrin, Oct 19, 2001.

1. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Today, I ordered the Denon 2802 from Sound Professionals in San Diego,CA, and I cannot wait to get it. This is my first receiver, so I am very new to the home theater scene. Can someone recommend a book to learn everything about home theater? I am thinking of going to Crutchfield.com to order their book on this subject.
    I know the remote control is not the greatest. But, I was thinking of getting either the Sony or the Pronto touchscreen remote control. Also, I am planning on getting Polk Audio's RM6600 bookshelf speakers next month, and eventually the subwoofer. I know it will be hard on learning, but I plan to ask a lot of questions on this forum.

2. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the money pit [​IMG] Just kidding... I just started myself. I purchased the Denon 1802 and now I'm trying different speaker sets to find something I like.

3. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

You'll love the 2802! I think it has a great mix of quality and features for the price...as for the remote, I like it ...any remote requires time to learn layout and programming options, as long as remotes are learning and have enough direct acsess keys I happy and the dennon does!

4. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

From one end of the country to the other, welcome to the forum perrin. You will find people one here that know a lot about home theater and some that are still learning like myself. I myself am getting ready to order the Denon 2802 from sounddistributors.com. Hope I like it. I am still running Pro-Logic and have not heard DD in my theater yet.
    Again, welcome I can assure you that you will find professional attitudes here due to Rons strict standards. This is a great place on the net!
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "Remember, if you can't be polite to our guest you have to sit at the kiddies table."

5. Mike_Reznik

Mike_Reznik Stunt Coordinator

Hello Perrin,
    I don't know a good book to recommend, but a good way to get a quick start is to pick up some of the popular HT magazines. Some of the terminology might be a little confusing at first, but they keep it pretty easy to understand. I would recommend Sound & Vision, Home Theater, Audio Video Interiors (one of my favorites), etc... just go to Barnes & Noble and browse around.
    Also, this forum has been absolutely great! There are a lot of helpful people here. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Go with the Pronto!!! It's awesome. I've had mine for about one year and I love it. I programmed it so that even my wife can use it! (not an easy accomplishment ;-)
    Good Luck!
    ------------------

6. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Perrin,
    I live here in San Diego and I don't recall a Sound Professionals. Could you give me there address please, so I can check them out. Thank you, Charles.
    ------------------
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

7. perrin

perrin Stunt Coordinator

Hi Charles,
    Thank you for your response. Here is the address and phone number of The Sound Professionals:
    9450-B Mira Mesa Blvd
    San Diego,CA 92126
    (858) 693-4499
    web address: www.soundpros.com
    I received an email today from UPS stating that my receiver should be here next Wednesday. I am taking two days off from work to play with it.

8. KimR

KimR Auditioning

i recieved my denon 2802 last week and love it. I have been using old sony receiver that only did dolby pro logic and cant believe how great DD and DTS sound. Personally I dont mind the remote since the old sony receiver remote sucked even more and never used it. Luckly i was able to configure the denon controller to control my tv/dvd/vcr/sat/cd/ld just fine.
    ------------------
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=cyc

9. Charles M

Charles M Stunt Coordinator

Hey Perrin,
    Thanks a lot for the info. Again I was unaware of any other authorized dealer for Denon in the area. When I was on their website when I did a search I would only get Tweeters who only sells them at retail. Now I am now considering getting the 3802 for $895 once again. If only they had Yamaha. Thank you again! You just made my day. Welcome to the forum.
    Charles
    ------------------
    The only dumb question is the one you never ask....

10. JohnZ

JohnZ Agent

Sound Professional is not an authorized dealer. The warranty may be not valid. All the on-line authorized dealers I checked sell that for $799. Did anybody find a better price?