Denon 2802 'pop'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevitra, Jul 10, 2002.

1. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

I just got a Denon 2802 from 6ave a week ago. I have been impressed with PLII/DTS NEO so far.

I am having an issue that I have not been able to fix. When watching TV with my DirecTiVo (via toslink optical cable) I hear a 'pop' sound when I change channels/fast forward and then play/etc. It seems like it is happening when the receiver locks onto the digital signal.

Do others experience this? It does not seem normal to me. My old 2801 did not do it.

I am thinking about calling 6ave and exchanging it, unless I can isolate the problem. I could upgrade to a 3802 for $100, so I might just do that..

Equipment:
    Denon 2802
    Rotel RB985
    Philips DirecTivo
    Monster HTS-2500 line conditioner
    Mits 55809
    ACI Sapphire IIIs
    SVS 25-31
    Axiom QS4

2. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Stunt Coordinator

this might not be helpful, but have you tried to see if it does this with the tv's speakers (i.e. bypass the receiver)? I recall getting a popping sound out of nowhere when changing digital cable channels earlier this year. the cable company insisted it was the receiver, until I showed the technician how it did it through the tv's speakers as well. turned out the digital cable signal was bad. not sure how this would apply to tivo, but thought it might be worth checking before you returned the receiver.

3. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Never heard of the issue before. Do you have set to AUTO?

Ah forget about it, just get the 3802 for now. The price right now is the best ever.

4. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

It is set to Auto. I do think it is the receiver, as my 2801 was fine.

I might be that the 2802 dosen't like the digital out from the Tivo. I have read in the past about issues with Yamaha receivers.

But yes, the 3802 is only $100 more, so if I can get free shipping I will be going that route.

5. Ronald Aguilar

That sound a little like the problem that I was experiencing with my Denon 4800. When I changed channels on my DirecTivo I would get a pop from my subwoofer. When I turned the volume all the way down from 59 to -- I would get it to. I called Denon about it and I was told that there is a subwoofer mute circuit in the 4800 that has probably gone bad. Anyway, my Denon 4800 is being fixed right now. I have another Denon AVR-1600 (from the bedroom) now in the system. It doesn't have the problem at all. Check to see if it is coming from the subwoofer.

Ron Aguilar