What's new

Denon 2802 owners - question for you (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Can the Denon remember different individual channel level settings for stereo/direct vs. DD/DTS? Say, one wanted to balance their speakers for movie watching yet wanted to simply leave the front L/R at 0db each for 2 channel music listening since one doesn't normally sit in one sweet spot for this type of listening. Does the Denon allow for this? As far as I can tell my 811S doesn't. It's not a big issue at the moment but I'm compiling a mental list of features I'd like any future replacement to have :) and I think the ability to store different tonal/level/etc. settings for different surround/music modes is a nice feature. The Denon manual is not entirely clearly written (as his been pointed out several times I think) but they seem to hint that it can indeed do this.
thanks,
--tom

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,

You can have the "CD" and "DVD" inputs actually come from the same device (i.e. a DVD player). If you then select CD input, you can setup whatever options you want independent of your DVD input settings. For example, I always have my 2802 set for 5-channel stereo on a CD input, and DD/DTS auto-detect on a DVD input (even though they come from the same device). I believe you can store levels/EQ settings for each input device independently as well.

Rich

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Thomas,
I don't have the 2802, but I do have the 2801, and you can set the "global" channel levels when you first calibrate which will be applied to all inputs and all listening modes (direct/stereo/DD/matrix etc etc), and from there you can trim each mode to what you desire. So for example, you can initally set your front mains to +3db, and use this when watching DD movies, and then when you switch over to direct, you can trim the level to 00db which will be stored in the receiver's memory. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
"You can have the "CD" and "DVD" inputs actually come from the same device (i.e. a DVD player). "

Richard (or anyone else that cares to answer)

How do you do this? On my 2802 I have to have the receiver on DVD when playing a CD. It has bugged me that I have to remember to change my settings for CD and DVD playing.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Barry, if your player does parallel audio out, then you can also hook up a analog connections and run them to the cd input on your receiver. This means that you'll be using the DACs in the DVD player though. Other than that, unless there is a way to attach two inputs to the same digital source input, I can't figure out how to do it either.

cheers,

--tom

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Barry,

Just run a good pair of stereo interconnects from your DVD player into the CD L/R inputs, then run an optical from your DVD player into one of your optical inputs. Assign the DVD input from the optical, and the CD input from the L/R CD inputs. By doing this, you can set (and the 2802 will remember) your preferences for CD vs. DVD. Like I said, I can set CD input and it will auto-change to 5-channel stereo, but with DVD input it will switch to DD/DTS auto-detect.

Rich

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I have not had a chance to do it yet but I wanted to make sure to say thanks for the replies on this. My question though is if I'm connecting from the player to the receiver first then is the DAC of the DVD player being used?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks