Denon 2802 or Marantz 5200 -which to buy for 6.1 pls help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by norman_maclean, Sep 10, 2001.

1. norman_maclean

I want to get a new reciever, my use will be 90% home theater. I want to have a 6.1 setup. My budget was orginally around $500 and I had settled on the Outlaw or the Marantz. I threw out the Outlaw b/c DPLII. I would go with the Marantz if I could get a definate yes to one question - Does it do 6.1 DD and DTS? I know it won't do DTS discreet, and the 2802 will, but is it worth the extra money (100-150$). I think i can get the marantz for 500 and I'm not sure on the Denon.
    What are your guys' opinions in general on these 2 recievers -- which way should I go? And how does the marantz handle 6.1 -- does it send info to the sixth channel only on 6.1 DTS or will i get sound from that speaker on 6.1 DD and also can i make it matrix the sound and create a channel for 5.1 DTS and DD.
    I really want to buy one of these but want to make the right choice.

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Hello There,
    I have the Marantz Sr7200 and it handles 6.1 very well. I have played alot of movies on over the last week and it will do 6.1 on any movie(Matrix 6.1 of course). It works well with both DD and DTS. I especially liked it in Jurrasic Park and Exit Wounds. The rear blended in nicely and did not sound intrusive. I am about 80% movies and 20% Music so I tried the Denon 3802 and the SR7200. On HT they performed equally well(both excellent). But on music the Marantz really shined over the Denon(IMHO). It was warm and detailed. The Denon seemed a little harsh to me. Even though I don't listen to music nearly as much as watch movies, I figured when I did listen to music, I might as well have a receiver that does it well. The Marantz fit the bill nicely. Try both if you can. Let your ears decide. Good luck with your decision.

3. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I also picked the 7200. I agree with Dalton. I really like T2UE in 6.1 DTS.
    ------------------
    There can be only one!
    My DVDs

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, the 5200 will do 6.1.