Denon 2802 or 3801?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I was going to buy the Denon 2802, but my local dealer says he can give me last years 3801 for around the same price. I know that the 3801 has more power, and 7.1 and DDSC, but the 2802 has PLII. I won't be able to listen to a 3801. I listened to a 2802 which sounded very good. Can any owners comment on the sound of the 3801? Also, I heard there were problems with the fan in the 3801, how would I get that fixed, and what is the possibility I might get a defective one with the loud fan? Also, how loud is the fan when it is broken?

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Dan

3. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

3801 would be my choice (I have one which I upgraded from a 2700 .. big difference [​IMG] ) without a doubt.
    To the best of my knowledge, the 3801 has no fan.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Kyle,

No fan in the 3801 and heat is not a problem.

I'd go with the 3801 but if the 3802 is only another $100 or so I'd go with that. DPLII is nice for music and perhaps a bit better than Neo:Cinema for pro-logic movies on cable and satellite. Otherwise can't go wrong with the 3801.

Good luck.

Gil

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

I don't know guys...I have doubts. The basic layout of the 3801 and 3802 looks very, very similar to the older 3300. And it certainly had the cooling fan on board. (Kyle, the 3300 is the unit that had the run of bad fans. I am not aware of any noisy 3801's.)

The fact that we can't easily see or hear the fan doesn't mean that it not there. The fan on the 3300 sat internally (at an angle) near the front of the unit and vented to the center-rear of the unit. When the fan ran as it was supposed to, it was nearly impossible to hear, due to the fact that it's operating speed (and therefore, how physically loud it was) was volume and temperature sensitive.

Perhaps someone can "pop" the top to a 3801 or 3802 and definitely check to see if the fan is really there or not. It's hard to imagine how Denon could properly cool a 3801 or 3802 (which contains 2 more amplifiers than the older 3300) without using a fan.

Kyle: As I mentioned in another of your threads. If you listen to a fair amount (or more) of 2 channel sound that you want to play back in surround, you shouldn't overlook DPL II. It's awesome!

6. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Sankar wrote:

7. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Marvin,
    I'd say that the improvement was for both HT and 2 channel stereo (I have almost never used 5 channel stereo so I cannot comment on that dimension). Its been a while now, but I recall that in both modes I had immediately noticed greater detail and better imaging in the first few days. I would guess that this was mainly due to a better pre-amp section (my suspicion is that the power amps are comparable betw the 2 units).
    I had even posted an extensive review at that time, but I am unable to locate it now.
    The other reasons I moved to the 3801 (over the 2700) were:
    a) DTS-ES discrete. (I had a Milly 2.4.6 with the 2700)
    b) 7 channel pre-outs .. (2700 only had 3 ch out) .. this has allowed me to slowly add external amps and move towards separates .. to the extent that I currently do not use the internal amps of the 3801 (waiting for Outlaw 950). Moving to an external amp made a bigger difference for 2 channel stereo than for HT.
    c) Component video switching
    Hope that this helps ...
    Sankar

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thanks Sankar.

9. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

Kyle, If you are hooked on the DLP-2, Go with the 2802. I personally would go with the 3801, It is a better receiver. Just look at the inside through the top and tell me if the transformer size does not convince you.