Denon 2802: No center channel?!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Harvey, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Please help. I'm trying to hook up and calibrate my new 2802, and my local Denon dealer has no clue on this issue.

If I run test tones through the 2802, everything works fine and I can balance my speakers through an SPL. My center channel plays the tone perfectly fine, and I can balance the dB with no problem. However, if I then play a DD or DTS track (well, anything for that matter) no matter what mode I set the 2802 into I get absolutely no center channel.

My question is (since I'm trying to dig through the manual): is there some setting or some 'mode' I have to set to trigger the center? Is there any other reason the center would not be playing?

During playback, I'm getting excellent output on my mains, rears, and sub, just no center.

Rich

2. Richard Harvey

Well, after a little more digging I'm not sure if I have a hardware issue (receiver) or software issue. The wiring/setup definitely is NOT the problem.

The test disc I was using was Peter Frampton: Live from Detroit (DD/DTS). For whatever reason, this disc is not playing the center channel. I've since tried The Matrix, String: All This Time, and The Fifth Element, and I'm getting center channel fine on all of them. I made sure Frampton was set to the DD 5.1 track (just to make sure I wasn't chasing a DTS setup issue), but no luck.

Can anyone at least verify for me that Peter Frampton is not a 4.1 disc? (I've checked multiple DVD ordering sites, and all report it as 5.1DD/DTS, as does the packaging). But, I've learned long ago not to trust packaging.

Rich

3. Steve Daniels

Steve Daniels Stunt Coordinator

Here's what one Amazon reviewer had to say on this issue:

4. Richard Harvey

Thanks Steve. I was completely caught off guard because I've owned and played this DVD for months, and never even noticed (of course, until I upgraded my receiver and center channel, I'm not sure I would have really missed it). Now it is glaringly obvious -- I'm glad someone else has this problem, so I can stop freaking out that there is something wrong with my receiver!

Rich

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

Peter Frampton chose to record it that way. It was resembling a heart where the sound came predominantly from the front left and right...and from the rear center. I think this was covered in a Home Theater magazine interview.

6. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Have you tried any other test material?

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I actually prefer that the main vocals not be predominatly mixed only in the center channel because if your speakers are good, the imaging you should get from the vocals being mixed in the left/right channels will give the vocals more air and depth in playback. There should only be a hint of vocals in the center, mainly for cohesiveness of the soundstage. But that's just one man's opinion. [​IMG]

8. Richard Harvey

Patrick,

I tend to agree with you. I actually was very amazed at the quality of the recording; it was only by doing an actual "ear" test that I discovered I was getting nothing from the center. For me, this doesn't detract from the disc whatsoever. My mistake, though, was using this disc as a test case to confirm my wiring was correct without realizing the disc had no center channel track!

I've since tried a whole slew of movie and concert DVD's, and everything is working great now. I've re-calibrated all the speakers with Video Essentials and an SPL, and have tried DD, DTS, DPL2, and 5-channel stereo material just to give it a run. What a great receiver!

Rich