1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Denon 2802, Marantz 6200 or Sony str-de1075?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Taylor, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Ryan Taylor

Ryan Taylor Auditioning

Just bought a new Sony 300 disc dvd player and am thinking about upgrading my reciever(Harman/Kardon AVR20).
    There is about $150. difference between these three recievers, and seems like on paper they're pretty close. I don't know much about this stuff so any info will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Jerry C

Jerry C Extra

I have the Denon 2802 and love it. My final choice came down to this or the Marantz 6200. The Denon won out because of its ability to do DTS-ES Discrete (the Marantz provides a matrixed rear center surround channel only) and opinions expressed in the past by several on this forum that Denon sounds better than Marantz for home theater use (the Marantz may have a slight edge for music, but the Denon is also fine in this area). I know that the Sony doesn't do DTS-ES Discrete either, and I think it also lacks Dolby Prologic II. I wouldn't buy any receiver now without it.
    Good luck with your choice.

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Ryan: I vote for the Denon too. I've had 4 different models in the last few years and they peformed wonderfully.
    If you do some searches on the forum here (and wade through all of the posts) you'll find that many don't recommend buying a DE series Sony. This is Sony's entry level equipment and is has proven to be the ones that most often require service. If you want to look at Sony, look for a DB or ES model. But I don't think any Sony in your price range has Pro Logic II (IMO, a must have.)
    As for the Marantz, again do some recent forum searches. Unless someone has just received some clarifying information in the last couple of days, there has been serious concern regarding the amp section of the new Marantz's.

4. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

another vote for the Denon

5. Randall Z

Randall Z Stunt Coordinator

I have a similar dilema, only I am trying to decide between the Denon 2802 and the Yamaha RXV-1200. Any advice? Thanks.

6. EarleD

EarleD Supporting Actor

The 2802 is a great reciever. It gets my vote.
    Earle

7. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

quote: Ryan: I vote for the Denon too. I've had 4 different models in the last few years and they peformed wonderfully.[/quote]
    4 in a few years! Yikes. If Dennon breaks that fast I'd go with Marantz!
    How long should a reciever last?
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------
    [Edited last by Evan A on October 20, 2001 at 02:18 PM]

8. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

Evan:
    I think Chuck meant that he upgraded, not that the receivers broke.
    My stepdad just got a 2802 and after listening to it I would recommend it highly.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

9. Vince Chan

Vince Chan Stunt Coordinator

Randall,
    I had the same problem as you, trying to decide between the denon 3801 and the upcoming Yammie 1200. I compared the 3801 to the Yammie Rxv1000 (the 1200's closest brother) on my Paradigm setup, and I think the Yammie sounds better on my speakers than the Denon did.

10. KimR

KimR Auditioning

I have denon 2802, it sounds and performs great! Denon for me

11. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Evan: Rin is right. All of the Denons were/are excellent machines and make listening a lot of fun. I trade every couple of years or so to keep up feature and technology-wise. This summer I went from a Denon 3300 to a 3802 (mostly for DPL II.)
    ------------------