What's new

Denon 2802 Cut-out problem again..! (1 Viewer)

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks

You may all remember that I had some problems with my Denon 2802 receiver, whereby the output kept failing?

Well, if you remember, Sevenoaks Hi-Fi tested it and found it to be OK in the shop. After 3 weeks, the output stage has failed again so I'm taking it back again, this time for Denon to check it over, as it is obviously an intermittent fault, possibly a loose connection.

Wish me luck, I'll let you all know the outcome.

Only problem is I'll be without hi-fi for a couple of weeks. Cest la vie

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Well,

I took the receiver back to SHF and once again, they set it up for testing. This time, no output in the store, so I didn't feel a complete fool.

After a few false starts, the assistant didn't seem to have much clue about the remote, it was deduced that the output was completely dead, not even an output from the digital out socket.

I tried to see if they would do a deal on a 2803 instead, but no dice. They just said, that if it can't be repaired economically, they would then offer a replacement or refund (no harm in trying).

So still no amp, I'll call them tomorrow to see what's happenning.

Ciao

This sounds like a problem I had with a car amp at one time. The amp had a crack in the output board. When the amp would heat up the output board would expand and the crack would open causing an open. It was a real pain in the ass to diagnose but after several times in for repair it was found. Maybe this is similar to your problem.

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback

I called SHF today and it is due to be looked at this afternoon, hmmm! They've only had it a week :frowning:

Anyway I 'll let you know what happens

Cheers all

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Finally, a result!!

Sevenoaks Hi-Fi, weren't able to locate the fault and sent the receiver to Hayden Laboratories, the UK Denon distributor

Well, after another 4 week wait and constant calls plus a letter, SHF have agreed to replace it, so, on Friday I took delivery of a gleaming new Denon AVR-2803 at no extra cost.

I've just got to persuade the wife to allow the 8th speaker into the equation and figure out a way of removing those dreaded inserts from the binding posts, so that I can use my banana plugs;)

So alls well that ends well

I Hope!!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Congrats Richard! The xx03 series brings some new user tweaks with it (surround mode memories based on signal type and subwoofer "Off" in more modes than Direct.)

Enjoy!

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to you all for your support in this saga

I've been using it for a few days now and it's settled down beautifully, with far better sound than the 2802, which makes me wonder whether the previous problem was more than just the cut-out fault!

Cheers

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks