What's new

Denon 2802 channel level test noise (1 Viewer)

SteveOak

Auditioning
I am the proud new owner of a Denon 2802. In performing initial set-up I used the internal channel level settings. As it stepped automatically through the speakers I noticed a difference between LF and RF. I reduced RF and let it go through again. After several passes through I began to realize that it was not primarily the level that was different, it seemed to be the spectral content, LF seemed to have more lower freq or be shifted down while RF had more HF or was shifted up in freq.

I performed troubleshooting and isolating procedures swapped wires, moving speakers and so on until I had both speakers side by side (also top and bottom). The difference tracks with the receiver channel.

I don't think that my hearing is particularly exceptional, in fact my hearing is not all that good so this must be pretty obvious for me to even notice. I took the receiver back to my friendly local retailer who after setting up and listening for a few minutes was also able to hear what I heard. We then listened to another Denon receiver and could hear the same thing.

So here are my questions.

Has any one else noticed this?

Is it a big deal?

Is it the noise generator or is there a genuine sonicspectral difference between the amplifier channels?

What else might it be or might I do?

The LF and RF are Infinity Alpha 20's, the center is an Alpha 37c.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
That IS odd. It sounds like Dennon has a quality-control issue with that batch of receivers.

In theory, both L/R channels should sound & be identical. In truth, the electronic components that are used can often vary in their performance from part to part, yet promise similar/identical performance.

Yes, you should make a big deal out of it and return the unit. This is the first/best way to inform Denon that there is an issue.

I'm also going to move your post to the Receivers fourm where others may have noticed this issue may respond.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is another thought -

The test-tone circuit might be the problem, not the L/R channels. If so, this is a minor issue and NOT worth returning the receiver IMHO.

Try this: get a copy of either the Video Essential or Avia DVD and use the test-tones from the disk. Do your L/R comparison. If there is still a shift in the sound using a external source - the receiver is defective. But if the external test-tones sound the same, the small circuit that generates the tones is at fault. While this would be annoying, it's not really that big of a deal.

SteveOak

Auditioning
After a number of attempts I was able to speak with a technician at the western Denon office in California. He listened patiently while I described the condition I perceived. He agreed to listen to a unit they have there and let me know. He called and confirmed that there was a difference, that is the LF and RF channels sounded different from each other. He had listened to a 5803 and observed a noticeable difference between the two front channels.

He had no explaination for why it may be this way but said he would try to find out.

It's almost as though the left channel is pink noise and the right channel is white noise.

I've heard the same effect on my 2802, a 2803 and a 3803.

Anyone else notice anything like this?

Richard Cook

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a 2802 since last November and I can honestly say that I haven't noticed this phenomenon and like you my hearing isn't great.

It does sound like a batch problem. I wonder if it was a problem on the stateside units only or if the european models were also affected?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I've had a 3803 since last fall too and haven't noticed anything like this either. Really strange...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks