Denon 2802: Can anyone explain this?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Harvey, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

Very strange problem. I have a Denon 3000 DVD player, and a Denon 2802 A/V receiver. I have the DVD player plugged in to the switched power receptacle on the 2802, so that when I power the receiver it auto-powers the DVD player. I've run this config for over a year with no problems.

Earlier this week, I finally got around to watching the 4 disc version of LOTR:FOTR. At two specific scenes in the movie, the 2802 shuts down with a protection fault. I figured I had defective discs, so I exchanged the set. On the new set, at the exact same two scenes, the 2802 shuts down again with the same protection fault.

I brought in my PS2 and hooked it up as a DVD player using the same optical cable from my DVD 3000, and the scenes played fine, so I assume my Denon DVD was screwing up the optical stream signal and was freaking out the 2802. My friend didn't agree, and he had me unhook the DVD power from the receiver and plug it into a power strip (the same strip the receiver is plugged into). The scenes now play fine, with no shutdown.

Now, what am I missing? Since I don't have my DVD do any decoding (it's all done on the 2802), the DVD player should simply be spinning a disc and passing an optical stream of zero's and one's to the receiver for decoding. Every other disc in my 100+ disc collection has played without a hitch, never a problem. Why would two specific scenes on these discs cause the DVD player to somehow draw excessive power to cause the 2802 to go into a safety mode? Has anyone else ever seen a similar problem to this? I thought a DVD would be a very low-draw device from a power standpoint, which is why I've always run them switched with my receivers. Should I now assume this is a "bad thing"? If so, would you ever use these switches for any device?

Rich

2. Jonathan L

Jonathan L Stunt Coordinator

Richard,

Out of curiosity, would one of those scenes be near the beginning of Disc 1, where Sam and Frodo see the Elves leaving for the Gray Havens in the woods?

3. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I have a 2802, and I don't plug anything into the electrical outlets on the back.

I use my Denon several hours per day, and haven't had ANY problems.

I just spent the last two nights watching the extended edition of FOTR and it was flawless.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your problem though.

Sean in Nor Cal

4. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

No, the two scenes I hit were the shattering of the sword in the Prologue, and the fireworks set off from the back of the cart for the kids when Gandalf first enters the Shire.

Rich

5. Jonathan L

Jonathan L Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, can't help ya. [​IMG]

From what I understand, there is a problem with Disc 1 during the scene I mentioned that causes skipping on certain players. I thought it might possibly also be causing your receiver issue.

Good luck.

-Jon