Denon 2802 and speakers settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KwongC, Aug 22, 2002.

1. KwongC

KwongC Agent

I have a Denon 2802 receiver. There is place where you can set the speakers (front or rear) to "large" speakers or "small" speakers. Is this just a setting based on the physical size of the speakers or is there more to it than that?

2. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    If you have a subwoofer and your speakers are bookshelf (small) then by setting the speakers to small the low frequencies will be redirected to the sub. If your speakers are floorstanding (large) and capable of reproducing low frequencies then by setting them to large the low frequencies will not be redirected. Now some people with large speaker still have the receiver set to small because a good powered sub should be better able to reproduce those frequencies.

I also have the Denon 2802, and if I remember correctly there is a setting for large speakers that also send the low freq to the sub and the speakers. Not sure. I'll check my manual.

3. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Kwong,

What speakers are you running with your 2802?

As VladD stated above, speaker size has little to do with your speaker set-up in your Denon (or any other receiver) menu. It boils down to what your freq. range is with your speakers, not necessarily their size. I myself have floorstanding Klipsch speakers that are quite large in size, but Ive set their size to small in the Denon menu and route the lower freq's that they would have received into my sub which can handle it better and reduce the load on my amps. Play with the settings while your listening to music, or watching a movie, youll hear a difference, just pick what you like best. That way, you cant go wrong.

Regards,
    Phil

4. KwongC

KwongC Agent

thanks for your responses.

Right now, I'm talking about a set up in my folks' house.
    They are using a denon 2802 and are using the Energy Take 5.2 setup. The room is a lousy shape and all opened walls and all that. The problem is, I know the denon is a great unit and Energy speakers are real clean sounding. But, I'm having two problems:

1. Seems to be underpowered (especially midbass)
    2. The surround sound is not that great (in terms of panning, and being able to "hear" the rear speakers).

With problem no. 2, let me elaborate. The rear speakers are right next to the couch, where one would sit for movies. During a movie, the rear sounds are hardly audible...but if I set the volume for those to be higher, then when you listen to regular music, using the 6 channel stereo setting on the denon, then the rear speakers seem way too loud.

Thanks for you input.

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt

6. Leo A. Chimo

Leo A. Chimo Agent

KwongC-

I have the same setup- the 2802 & the Take 5.2 system. I set mine up with the "large" speaker setting at first (as instructed with the Energy manual) and have blown: 2 satellite woofer cones, 1 center channel woofer cone, & the main 8.2 sub cone. Please keep in mind this is with a properly calibrated system, using it mainly for movies! I have now set my Denon to "small" - I don't know if this was the cause of my speaker failures or not (I'm suspecting a speaker manufacturing issue) but I have heard that the Energy's Take 5.2 system should be set to small.

On a separate note, I would love to hear from people who own the Take 5.2 system- are you having any issues? I know most people around here have spoken highly of them. While they sound great, I think their reliability is in question.

7. KwongC

KwongC Agent

hey leo,

I never heard of Energy before, not until right before I bought them. Their quality looked good and they sounded real clean.

however, one of the sattelites started cracking (real fuzzy and staticy sounding) and i brought it back to GoodGuys for repair.

yeah, I have them set on "large" right now..looks like I'd better switch the setting back to small.