What's new

Denon 2802 and DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I have a few questions:

1. I have hooked up all 6 Audio RCA cords to the Ext. In on the back of my Denon 2802 from my Panny CP72 silver DVD-A&V player. At one point in time I think I remember seeing my Denon display 96kHz (and only hearing 2 channel stereo), but then when I change it to the Ext. In. mode the display changes. Does this mean that I am not getting the 96hKz quality sound from the DVD-A disc? Or was the 96hKz displaying what the Denon was playing through the digital optical cable?

Thanks for all your help and God bless!

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
grady, youre getting it all. the reason you arent seeing anything in the display is that the receiver is then acting only as a preamp and amp and not as a processor. you HAVE to use the ext. in mode and the internal decoder of your dvd player as the toslink cable will not transmit a dvd-audio bitstream. the 2802 WILL decode the 96khz stereo signal and thats why you got that, but it will not decode the 192khz stereo or 96khz 5.1 signal. hopefulle someday soon they will come up with a digital link such as firewire with the bandwidth to do that, and its at that point that i will upgrade my receiver and dvd player.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Thanks Don.

Just to clarify...

When I play it using the Ext. Input then I am receiving a 192khz or a 96khz 5.1?

I was wondering if I could tell the difference between the two. Do I need to do anything to hear the 192hkz as opposed to the 92hkz?

Thanks!

DonT

Stunt Coordinator
grady, there is no 192khz 5.1. the 192khz signal for dvd-audio is stereo only. the maximum frequency for dvd-audio 5.1 is 96khz.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Thanks Don, I thought that, but was going to ask the experts before I told anyone different. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks