Denon 2800 DVD Issues, Anyone????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edi, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Edi

Edi Extra

All,

I really like the 2800, however I have been experiencing issue with specific titles Have anyone had issues with their DVD player. The problems occurred on True Romance and for the love of the game.

The actual problem is the movie will freeze and get lock.

Anyone else have this problem. Do you know what to do?

thanks

ed

2. ErikHansen

ErikHansen Auditioning

Hi,
    sorry to hear about your Denon DVD player. I recently bought a 2800 MkII player and it had the same problems as you describe here (though I also had audio-dropout in several films). I never played True Romance but the same freezing and locking happened for me on several occasion.
    Finally I got tired of it and returned it for a replacement, which after a few days started doing the same thing (DAMN YOU DENON!!), so in the end I returned the second unit and got my money back.

How old is your player and is it still possible for you to return it?

3. Edi

Edi Extra

About four months. WHat can I do?

4. ErikHansen

ErikHansen Auditioning

Well, since it's only four months old it is still under warranty (assuming you didn't buy it used) sp I would suggest you contact the place where you bought the player and make them fix the problem.

Can you recreate the problem so you can show it to the serviceguy where you bought it?

My problem was that it didn't happen all the time so I had a lot of trouble recreating it however they took mine back and gave me my money back eventhough I had had the player for almost two months.

Try and see if they can fix the problem and if they can't then tell them you wan't your money back. Nobody should pay as much money for a DVD player as the 2800 costs and have to live with movies freezing up.

5. Bryan "C." A.

I never had that problem with the 3800, but it did display the two worst examples of improper MPEG decoding (sometimes referred to as the chroma bug) that I have ever witnessed during playback of Jackie Brown. The first occurred at the beginning of chapter 6 when Robert Forster comes out of the bathroom to be greeted by Samuel Jackson, the open files sign and then the candy and candy jar lid jumped vertically from one position on the screen to a higher position on the screen. That problem did not always occur. The second always happened: half way through chapter 10 when Michael Keaton first sits down to quid pro quo negotiations with Pam Grier, the coffeemate label and coffee maker light do that very same sort of jump.
    Conclusion: Denon should not have selected the ESS Vibratto chip for its top of the line equipment. The Sil504 is awesome though -- sharpest picture I have seen with virtually no flicker detected in the luma. I cannot speak for the 503 as I never saw the 2800 (mark one). I can hardly afford the Denon 9000 which supposedly has been re-engineered to use Matsushita (parent company of Panasonic) MPEG decoders, so I guess I will stick with the FLI2200 and Panasonic MPEG decoder available in many fine flavors (silver and black Panasonic players with mirrored fronts). With the Panasonic CP72, I actually have had to increase the sharpness on my television more than any other player to reduce flicker. Ah, but I digress. What the Denon 3800 had that I miss most was proper DVD-A bass management, 4:3 shrink mode to display proper aspect on a 16:9, and superior JPEG viewing ability to any other player I have tried (it seemed to allow any multiple of files and folders, though only 250 or so could be directly accessed, plus it had nifty mirror imaging in addition to the standard rotate and zoom on most other players and with its 4MB buffer it displayed them faster too).