Denon 2200

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BarOr, May 9, 2004.

1. BarOr

BarOr Stunt Coordinator

Can the Denon 2200 play both PAL and NSTC?
    Can it play movies from region 2,1?
    Is there any dvd player which can play region 2,1(in the u.s)?

2. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

im not sure about regions, but it has PAL and an NTSC button right on the remote.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Wow if it does PAL, I'm in for a real treat since I have only Pioneer players in my house that won't do PAL at all. There's some great import titles I'd love to be able to play. I hope someone can confirm...

4. BarOr

BarOr Stunt Coordinator

5. Skip Hammerman

According to the Spec shhet on the Denon web site it is NTSC/PAL selectable. So - Yes it does work for PAL.

6. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

I think the 2200 has to be modded to play other regions. Check out www.JVBDigital.com for the mod.

The Momitsu V880 and Norcent 501M both can play PAL discs and be made region free in a hidden menu in the players. But are only available online as far as I know. Other players like the Toshiba SD-4900 can play PAL and be made region free for the cost of downloading a simple program from the internet and burning it to CD-R. The Toshiba has been selling for about $70 lately at places like Best Buy.

There are a several other players also, but these are the ones I can vouch for, and all properly convert PAL for NTSC TVs.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I suppose the other way to do it is just to rip the DVD and strip it of region coding, then re-burn it. It's not ideal in the long run, but for a few titles, it might be worth it, rather than trying to find an R0 player.

And it's perfectly legal, just so long as you own the original DVD and keep the copy for yourself.