What's new

Denon 2200 (1 Viewer)

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a Denon 2200 yesterday to replace my Toshiba 6200. Out of the box, the Denon 2200 had much more detail in dark areas but also some video noise in these same areas. After calibration with Avia most of the noise was gone and the video was clearly more detailed. My initial impression is that audio also has improved.

One problem that I have encountered is that with a few DVDs there is significant and in some cases an audible vibration from the 2200 shaking. It appears as if one problem DVD (Fifth Element) may be slightly out of balance, but my 3-year old Toshiba 6200 transport handles it with little problem.

I am returning to the dealer to determine whether this is a problem with my 2200 or a characteristic of the model. I intend to also try one of the discs in a Denon 2900 for comparison.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with the Denon 2200?

Perhaps I can sell my copy of Fifth Element on Ebay as a transport test DVD.

Mike Gl

Stunt Coordinator
I took the Denon 2200 back to the dealer along with the DVD that was producing the most vibration. The DVD when played on the dealer's demo Denon 2200 created some vibration, although it appeared muted relative to my unit. Next I tried the same DVD on a Denon 2900 and even it shook when playing, although movement was further attenuated. The dealer's copy of Fifth Element played on all the Denon's with no unusual behavior.

Next we tried a Rotel DVD player which played my Fifth Element DVD with little vibration. The dealer agreed the Rotel transport handled this particular DVD better than the Denon players evaluated. However, the Denon was superior in other respects.

In my opinion, the Denon 2200 may be somewhat more prone to vibration from DVDs that are not perfectly balanced than some DVD players. The Denon 2900 appears better in this respect, but it was not as large a difference as I had expected given the apparent higher build quality relative to the 2200. However, since neither the dealer nor anyone on this forum has reported vibration is a significant problem with these Denon players, it appears the type of extreme test provided by my Fifth Element DVD is seldom encountered.

The differences observed between the Denon 2200 and the Denon 2900 were not sufficient to motivate me to pay another $400 to move up to the Denon 2900. The cost differential may be justified in the view of others.

The dealer has agreed to order a new Denon 2200 for me and exchange my unit when it arrives in a couple weeks. I am satisfied with this resolution.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Mike,

I have noticed undue vibration on my Denon 2815 with certain discs that are not a problem on other players of mine. It seems the drives being used are sensitive to out of balance discs as you surmize.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks