Denon 2200 Q

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Juan_T, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys, Quick one.

Is there a way to play a CD in Stereo mode while using my sub without setting the speakers to small?

thanks =)

2. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

bump

3. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

bump

so nobody knows?

I love how my fronts sound in large, and I want to hear the extra thump with my sub! So theres no way to play stereo w/sub without setting the front speakers to small?

4. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

Juan , I no longer have my 2200 so I cannot help much.

Are you talking regular redbooks CD or ?

If you are just talking regular redbook CD and you are feeding your receiver a digital signal then the 2200 is not to blame..however if you are feeding your receiver an analog signal then you just have to set subwoofer to YES in the 2200s control panel.

5. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

I am not sure about 2200, but I have DVD-2900 and under audio settings it has basss enhancer. From the manual it sounds like it would send the signal to the sub through the multichannel outputs when it is playing 2 ch audio and bass enhancer is turned on.

6. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

it actually just lets me turn on bass enhancer if the filter is set to ON and the speakers are set to small!
    hmmm.. what the.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

how is your player connected?

i am assuming you are playing this back through an analog connection to your receiver/pre/pro, correct? and you have at least 3 analog lines connected; front L+R and a sub, correct? because, if you're using a digicoax/optical connection, there is no bass or time management applied to the digital output from the player. to apply bass/time management to the digital output, you need to use your receiver/pre/pro.

otherwise, i CAN use my 2200 to play stereo CDs via my analog connections WITH the fronts set to large and WITH a sub channel.

leave it set up as "multichannel". set your fronts to LARGE. set your center/surrounds to whatever you have, small or large. if you have none, then set those to "none". leave the filter set to on. then set the "bass enhancer" feature to "on" to create your sub channel.

mine works fine this way; i just checked it. if you're being blocked in the player's menus from doing it, then some other setting is preventing it. when the front speakers are set to SMALL, the bass enhancer does nothing, really, whether on OR off, btw.

(and, i'm not sure if it makes a difference or not relative to your problem, but have you applied the firmware?)

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

you can only use a sub out if you have the filter ON, setting your mains as small.

however, if you go 2-channel analog out of the thing, full range, no filter, no bass enhancer, your receiver should be able to add a sub in.

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

the whole purpose of the bass enhancer feature is to "create" a sub channel when the fronts are, indeed, set to LARGE, in multichannel mode, during playback of 2-channel sources.

mine works just as it's supposed to when the fronts are set to LARGE, multichannel mode, no matter what the other speakers are set as. that is, if you set the fronts to LARGE, but don't turn on the "bass enhancer", you'll get only 2-channel output from 2-channel sources, with no sub output. but if you set the fronts to LARGE and turn the "bass enhancer" on, you'll get sub output with 2-channel sources. try it.

setting the fronts to SMALL makes the bass enhancer setting moot, as anything below 80Hz will be routed to the sub channel anyway.

10. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

hum, i guess you are right scott, just never tried that before.

however, i wonder why someone would want to have their fronts as large and send the sub bass frequencies... that would give double bass, and give a nice big boost at around 80hz wouldnt it? it would only work well if your speakers naturally rolled off sharply at 80hz and your sub also rolled off above 80hz...

btw, how are things, and how is your system woes? i just got new speakers and subs [​IMG]

11. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yeah, i'm not sure how it's implemented exactly, myself. i DO understand why someone would want to use a sub with their speakers set to large, and thus need an output channel, but i'm just not certain what comes out of the sub channel when you use the feature. perhaps it's unfiltered and one is supposed to use their sub's xover when running the player this way.

what puzzles me is why the bass enhancer feature is still available when the fronts are set to SMALL. you'd think it'd become "unavailable" in that situation.

as far as my system goes, one thing that i've learned is that one man's audio hell is another's paradise. i recently had some friends in town who were completely floored by the sound of my system. i thought it sounded damn good while they were here, too. when they left, i thought it sounded crappy again. i guess that as long as more than my single pair of ears is listening, it sounds good. leave me alone with it for a few hours, though, and i begin to "hear things". [​IMG]