Denon 2200 or 2900?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Christopher_Ham, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I am getting ready to upgrade my Dvd player. I am positive I want either a 2900 or 2200. I read the specs on both in the recent DVD ECT mag and they were identical in all areas, Dac's, video, bass management, everything! What is the difference besides the dimensions?

2. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    Ok, here's the "Cliff Notes" version. If your primary concern is video performance, save your money and go with the 2200 (similar to 2900). However, if you are like me and audio performance is paramount, go with the 2900. The 2900 has custom built Burr-Brown DAC's, giving it a significantly better audio section. My 2900 has improved the sound of most, but not all of my old redbook CD's. Your mileage may vary. Check the archive, there are several older threads discussing these issues in more depth.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  4. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Get the 2900. It is better built with a better analog output stage and sounds much better. Unless you plan on changing players within the next two years, the difference in price is insubtantial compared to the improvement in sound quality.