Denon 2200 or 1600

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joe DC, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

PLS. help.I have been debating between these two players and have not gotten an answer. I have the Hitachi 61UWX10BA HD RPTV and wanted better picture quality than with my current Denon DVD 900. I'm using a component feed and would like any suggestions on which player will give me the best picture??

2. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

I don't know anything about the 2200, but I can tell you that the 1600, which is now discontinued, is essentially the same player video wise as the Panasonic RP82, with a few minor differences. It used the same Faroudja deinterlacer and the same MPEG decoder, which is chroma bug free. Here is a link to the secrets review of the 1600.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...deInt=0&mpeg=0

3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I personally think the 2200 is a better unit , if you can swing the cash go for the 2200. I want one myself but I am going to wait until I can find one for under $400 or so.

4. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Don't take too much longer to decide. As Greg pointed out, the Denon 1600 has been discontinued and is VERY difficult to find new. Some stores still have demo models and there may be some B-stock still available online.

-Steve

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 2200 is a very good unit, and I chose it over the 1600 and 1200. The 2200 is also Chroma Upsampling Error free.

6. Joe DC

Joe DC Agent

Thanks for all your input. JOHN G., you say you have the 2200. I just skimmed the 'DVD shootout review' and the 2900 failed the Chroma, 3-2 Alt. Flags and the chroma, 4:2:0 ICP Sync subtitle to frames test. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 2200 (to some extent) have the same internals as the 2900, and hence, produce the chroma bug? I'm still debating between the 1600 and 2200, but am leaning towards the latter because it can play more formats. I may also have trouble locating the 1600 at my local A&B store where I'm from.

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Oops, just re-read that, and the SiI504 does have the CUE problem, and I was aware that it failed ICP. I have seen ICP first hand, but have not checked for CUE (but it obviously does have this issue).

I was only able to find 1600 demo units locally, but new ones can be found on the web fairly easily, via authorized dealers, for less than MSRP.

*edit - I just took a look at Moulin Rouge and the error is hardly noticable on my display (Sony KV34HS510). Even watching frame by frame, it is only barely visible in certain frames. In fact, this movie looks even more amazing (first time I tried it out on this player) than it did in interlaced.