Denon 2200 and volume levels

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by MattLS, Jan 12, 2005.

1. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Hi all.
    I recently acquired the Denon 2200. I love the unit; it's also my first experience with SACD/DVD-A. However, it seems when playing mult-channel music the volume level is lower than when I'm running a stereo redbook CD via the optical connection. Even when I run the test tone through the player, the tones are at lower levels than when I run test tone through the receiver (a Denon AVR-1084). Is this normal due to the analog connections or am I missing something in the set up.
    Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, this is relatively normal. The digital connection's voltage is determined in the receiver's pre-amp stage, while when using the m/c inputs, the player's output voltage determines the level the amp sees. The output levels can be adjusted in the player's setup.

Do you mean 1804? I'm not familiar with a 1084. I noticed the same thing with my SACD player as well as my 2200. For the m/c inputs, my receiver allows me to adjust the levels of the inputs, so I leave the settings of the player(s) at 0.

3. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Thanks John.
    And yes, I did mean the 1804.
    I'll check the levels in the player and the receiver settings.

4. MattLS

MattLS Agent

So my levels are at 0 on the 2200. With the 1804, the m/c goes through the external inputs and there is no place to adjust the levels for them that I can see. In fact, I can't even assign the "ext. in" to say "cd" or "aux" I just have to push the "ext.in" button on the front panel to turn them on when I play a mult-channel disc and then push the "input" button if I'm switching to a disc of a different format to go to direct, stereo, dd etc. Is this volume issue something that I will just have to live with while using this receiver or am I missing something? I'm a little confused here.

5. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

can you not adjust the receiver's individual speaker levels when using the external inputs? try the "CH. SELECT/ENTER" button on your remote.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not all receivers allow you to adjust the levels of the m/c inputs, and when you have the m/c input selected, it may not allow any adjustments at all. For my receiver, the m/c has it's own set of level adjustments that are separate from the ones for all other inputs. I didn't expect the 1804 had that capability since most don't, but since it doesn't, you can use the level adjustments in the 2200s menus and raise them a dB or two.

No receiver that I've seen will allow you to assign the m/c input to a source, because it IS a source input and because it is not handle the same way as the rest of the inputs.

7. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i think he CAN adjust his individual speaker levels when using the external inputs. but if he can't, then yes, as you says, that would be the next choice; use the player's speaker-level-adjusting capability.

and i think his receiver WILL "remember" whatever input source is used with the ext. inputs. by that, i mean, it can "remember" to use the external inputs (and all the speaker level settings assigned to them) when he chooses, for example, "DVD" in the receiver.

8. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Thanks for the responses!
    I'll double check in my manual, but I'm alomost positive that I cannot adjust the speaker levels for the external inputs.
    I'll go through the player setup again and try and adjust the levels from there. If I remember correctly though, I cannot go above 0db in the player (which is where they are currently at)- only down from there.
    And yes, the receiver will remember which input source is used with the ext. inputs. It's just a bit annoying to have to go to the receiver and press input when I'm switching from a m/c source to a cd/dvd.

9. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

i don't understand. you can use, for example, "DVD" for the optical connection and "CD" for the external inputs. the receiver will rememeber all this. try it. switch the receiver over to some input source you don't use. then turn on the ext. inputs. the receiver will now remember to use the ext. inputs (and the speaker level settings for them) the next time you switch to that particular input source. the input source names are just that, names; the receiver doesn't really know what equipment is connected to it.

10. MattLS

MattLS Agent

Oh, ok. I gotcha. Sorry, I'm making this harder than it needs to be. I'm ,obviously, a novice in HT.
    I'll try that tonight.
    Thanks!