What's new

Denon 2105 (1 Viewer)

I've been reading on here and found that the 2805 is very popular among the people here. But what about the 2105 ? They look to be very similar except one is 100 watts vs. 90 watts. Also is this a true 90 or 100 watts, as in does it have the capacity to do this much power without major distortion and/or clipping...

Thanks
Daniel

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
If you put the 2105 and the 2805 spec's side by side,not much difference.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Depends on what you are driving with it, how large your room is, how loud you listen, etc... I always recommend going with the most power you can afford, but if you are driving some tiny satellite speakers or are on a very tight budget, the 2105 will probably be fine.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Daniel, my 2105 drives a pair of Infinity Alpha 50s as mains, a 37c for the center, and Primus 50s as the surround (I don't have the full 7.1 configured yet). While not top of the line, they are hardly "tiny satellite speakers", and neither is the 2105 substandard by any definition. What you have to decide is whether 10 more watts is worth the extra, and this is best done by listening to both pieces, and letting your ears decide. Beyond a certain point, price does not equate with better (more often than not, it just means "will do more", and not necessarily better). If it did, (the more expensive = the better piece), Bose would be among the top speakers in their price range. I would place the 2105 solidly as a mid-end performer. Good luck!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I have a pair of 3805s which I love. I just got a Home Theater mag in the mail today that gave the 2105 high marks. Page 74 March 2005 issue:
"The AVR-2105 delivers solid performance all around, a full list of features, and a few extra tricks that equip it well for the cutthroat inexpensive reciever wars."

If you can afford the extra $250 without blinking I's get the 2805. If you are on a budget I think you would be very happy with the 2105.

I'm still not sure which one i'll get but the info helps. The speakers i'm looking at hooking it up to will be either the Wharfedale Diamond 8 or 9 series, i haven't decided on those either.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It was an example, if he HAS small satellite speakers; not suggesting that this receiver would only be good for satellite speakers....

I still recommend going with the higher model. 10W doesn't sound like a lot, but it may be a much larger difference than it seems if the 2805 has a very different power supply. The difference between my previous receiver rated at 105 X 6 and my current receiver at 120 X 6, was very noticable. The new receier has a MUCH larger power supply, weighing in around 10lbs more than the previous one.

I noticed the 2805 also includes Auto-EQ while the 2105 does not. Other differences would be assignable 12v triggers and a learning remote rahter than a pre-programmed one.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

I agree with John in that the listening environment and personal preference (volume) plays a huge role. My HT is a medium size room, and my preferred volume levels peak at between 90 and 95 dB. The sound is fantastic at those levels, and I have not even scratched the surface of what the 2105 can do. However, as John also pointed out, power is not all about volume, but also the richness, detail, and fullnes of the sound (and the ability to maintain these at higher volumes). The 2105 fills my HT room nicely (my wife still makes me straighten all the pictures upstairs after I am finished), but if you wanted to fill Madison Square Gardens... Just do not let price alone be your deciding point (I went with the 2105 as opposed to the 1905 because of the additional power, sufficient for my needs, and the auto-setup). If it had been in the budget, the 2805's auto-EQ function may have swayed me in that direction...

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
As fas as just watts,nobody will tell the difference between 80 and 100 as an example.

steveCRE

Auditioning
Hello, this is my first post here and I was hoping for a little info.

First off I see alot of posts about Infinity speakers. Im considering the Primus 360 or the Beta 40. They have minor differences and I was wondering if the differences would be dramatic in a HT setup. I owned a pair of Primus 250's for a day or so before I returned them to Circuit City and I loved them, they sounded excellent compared to my Yamaha's. I can get the primus or beta for approx the same price.

My second question is about HD pass through on receivers. I am considering a Denon 2105 and noticed it is rated up to 100Mhz on the component video pass through. The other receiver I am considering is a HK 335 or 435, both with a rating of only 50Mhz. Is it necessary to have the 100mhz?

Any info would be appreciated.

Shiu

Second Unit
10W will not make much difference but I suspect the 2805 is better overall, including sound quality. Its THD is 0.05%, same as the 3805. Its not that it has to be that low, but if you compare their specs side by side, it does seem that the 2805 is as good as the 3805 in terms of quality, just less powerful. I would say the 2805 is the sweet spot, in terms of bang for the buck.

steveCRE

Auditioning
Awesome, thank you both. I could never get a straight answer from the sales person at Ultimate Electronics about the HD pass through and Im torn between Denon's reputation and my wifes love for the "pretty" HK.

Anyone have any opinions on the Primus 360 or Beta 40 's? They seem so much alike Im not sure I would notice a difference at all.

Also, has this happened to anyone? I have a JVC 48 HD TV and am using Monster Cable component video cables with the turbine cuts in them. The other day I was removing them from my tv and they pulled the component input out of the back of my TV! I emailed Monster Cable and they have yet to reply. Any secret to removing these from the components they are connected to? Pliers? Crowbar? Jackhammer? Cutting torch? Hand grenade?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Short of rocking / turning back and forth a tad less than gentle. No real secrets, and care shoudl definetly be taken, I haven't damaged anything, but man, I have had a devil of time getting them unplugged when helping others out that had them.

steveCRE

Auditioning
If I do purchase monster cables again it will be the standard gold connection without the turbines. I hate paying for repairs because of their products. Im also tempted to try Acoustic Research cables or Philips, can monster be that much better?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
No, this is a common thought for people new to the forums. The Monster cables are rediculously overpriced, maybe even moreso than bose. go to www.bluejeanscable.com or www.accessories4less.com. In the latter look at the AR pro series II cables. It think you will find the prices very attractive, especially when you see that they look better than monster's that cost 2x to 3x as much. Check it out and enjoy

steveCRE

Auditioning
Thanks again for the info and links, extremely helpfull. I have some AR s-vid and composite cables that I think are excellent, but since I was making the jump to HD I figured I shouldn't go cheap on cables. I should have researched a bit better. Now to see if I can get Best Buy to let me exchange these monster cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks