What's new

Denon 1910 or Pioneer DV-45a? (1 Viewer)

AndrewVital

Agent
Hey, i've been doing some research and have posted some threads about DVD players, and I've got it narrowed down to 2 of them.

THe Denon 1910 or the Pioneer DV-45a

Could anyone give me pros and cons of each (preferably from someone who owns them).

I've got a NEC HT1000 Front Projection setup with a Pioneer VSX-59TXi and a M&K speakers making up my 7.1 setup.

Currently I have a 6 year old Sony DVD player (not even progressive scan, but has component output), and thats looked fine, so anything I buy in a mid - high end player i'm sure will look even better. (which is why i'm not looking at a $1000 player.)
The only thing I'm worried about is I have a THX Receiver and speakers, will not having a THX DVD player matter? Should I get one? The only ones I've seen are all 1,000 (or more)

I know some players dont' get certified (though if they did they would pass), does anyone know a THX dvd player that just didn't pay to get George Lucas' seal of approval?

Thanks,
- Andrew

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Well, as for Video, the 45a is close to the bottom of the list at the Secrets site. While it can look OK with well authored stuff, it does a lot things wrong. Although I have not seen the 1910 reviewed at Secrets yet, it would be hard for it to do worse than the 45a. As such, the Denon would be the way to go (and I own a 45a!).

Now, as for audio, the 45a is a fine player. In fact, I use mine for audio only, and have a Denon 1600 for Video. But, it does have some quirks with its Bass management (a pretty high crossover at about 100 hz), and it does not redirect the .1 to the mains if by chance you do not have a sub. Those issues are solvable with an ICBM, but at about $250 more.

Someone will need to comment on the BM and audio performance of the 1910, but is it handles things like the 2200 (which has decent BM), then its a no-brainer to get the Denon.

BGL

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
I use a 1910 via DVI into an Infocus 4805. Stunning PQ for the money. It's in a theater-only room with a digital coax out into a Pioneer 1014. For a budget system, it kicks serious butt.

Jason GT

Second Unit
The 1910 doesn't do hirez audio. You need to step up to the 2910 or 3910 for it. The 1910's video performance, IMO, is outstanding with the one major (and for me, dealbreaking) flaw of macroblocking. The 1910, btw, received a pretty positive review on Secrets.

I wouldn't worry about the lack of THX cert on a DVD player; there are very few certified players anyways.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Is that a gray market website? A reseller? That price sure is pretty impressive! Too good to be true, really.
I have a hard time believing that price is from an authorized dealer.

I never see Elites online from authorized retailers...

If that's what this is, which I seriously doubt, then my hat's off to you for finding it. Pioneer sure doesn't bother to list ANY authorized Internet dealers on their website, especially for Elite gear.

I'd sure call Pioneer and check these guys out before doing business with them, though, just to be safe. You run the risk of no warranty being honored from Pioneer if you buy gray market.

P.S. That player is AMAZING! Under a grand in any respect is a great price for that player! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jason GT

Second Unit
Pio doesn't authorize online sales of Elite gear, so that'd be an unauthorized dealer. Nice price for a nice piece though.

AndrewVital

Agent
What is microblocking, and why is it bad?

The reason i'm leaning more towards the denon is the DVI-D output....

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
I just put my 1910 back in the box a few hours ago. When looking at, for example the black of space in Star Wars...it looked like little dark grey boxes made up the picture. My older Sony just had "black" with stars....the way it should have looked. It really bummed me out because it also did it with the snow and smoke in The Empire strikes Back in the hoth battle scene. I saw it in alot of my movies....some worse than others. When it looked good, it looked good but when it looked bad it looked terrible. I would not recommend this player to anyone.

AndrewVital

Agent
Is this true of all 1910s... if it is I definately want no part in it. I love you starwars and dont' want my obsession with this great work (or any lesser movie I choose to watch) degraded by blockyness.

Is there another player I can look at?
All I'm looking for a scaling player that plays DVD-A and SACD for under 500 bucks... is this doable?

thanks
- Andrew

AndrewVital

Agent
was looking at the Samsung DVD-HD841 , wondering if anyone has this and how the upconversion on this is? planning on using this with a NEC HT-1000 projector VIA DVI output. also wanting to play SACD's and DVD audio. was looking at the denon 1910 but heard ahbout problems with the "microblocking" so I've steered away from it. is this the best I can do in this pricerange? sugestions and comments are welcome, thanks!

-Andrew

Jason GT

Second Unit
If you can, procure a 1910 and try it for yourself (make sure it's from a retailer with a good return policy). Macroblocking may not be apparent to you, as not everyone sees it or finds is exceptionally objectionable.

Scaling in a DVDP is still quite immature as a consumer technology - if you want a scaling universal that is apparently quite problem free you'll have to start setting your sites on the Pio 59Avi at least ($1k+).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks