Denon 1815 or other Faroudja Chip Players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Pat_C, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Pat_C

Pat_C Agent

I have a 53' Hitachi HDTV rear projection, and I need a DVD player to complete my home theatre system. I'm looking to spend roughly $350.00, and it appears that the Denon 1815 falls into my price range. It has the Faroudja chip and 3:2 Pull Down detection, both of which I am told will noticeably improve the picture quality on DVDs. Is this a good player to go with, or is there another player I should consider?

It will be hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR501, and it will play through my Paradigm Titans, Atoms, Center, and Sub. Thanks for looking, and hopefully you can give me some tips.

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

If you could squeeze another $150 out of yourself, you may want to check into a Yamaha CX1. Has Faroudja, Burr-Brown audio DAC's, weighs 23 lbs., multiple audio & video outs, and is a very, very solid overall player. Originally retailed for around $1K, but can be found for $500 or less nowadays.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The Samsung HD931 has the Faroujda FL2100 chip, but it's only active over the DVI output. If your display has DVI it would be well worth it in most cases (upscales to 720p and 1080i) especially if you have a fixed-pixel display (LCD/DLP/LCOS/Plasma) but CRT w/ DVI aslo exhibits PQ gains over DVI (less D->A and A->D conversions). It doesn't, however, have DVD-A or SACD. The Bravo D1 is another option in the DVI scaling camp but doesn't have Faroujda. It does, however, in most cases provide better PQ than faroujda based 480p over component. It has the nifty ability to play DIVX and XVID files.

If you want strait 480p over component I would look at the Denon 1600 if you can still find it. Better PQ than any of the current crop (other than the 5900 over DVI, which costs $2k new).

Hope this helps [​IMG]