Denon 1804 Dolby Digital getting quieter

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ZachT, Feb 4, 2004.

1. ZachT

ZachT Auditioning

I have a one month old Denon AVR-1804 and recently I noticed I have to trun up the volume more when watching DD DVDs. I use to watch them at -27, and it was nice and loud. Now I can barely hear it and have to turn it up to -23. I really notice it on DVDs that have both DTS and DD tracks. The DTS is loud always and the DD has to be turned up more thatn normal. Is this a normal breakin thing. I also have a 3 week old Denon 910 and 3 week old monster vid 2 component cable. Is everything breaking in so I need to turn it up or Im I going crazy. Have any of you guys noticed this too?

2. John S

John S Producer

I think your just getting used to the new better dynamics myself....

Hard to say, but I have not noticed anything like this on a meter, that is for sure.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

For technical reasons that have been exhaustively discussed elsewhere, DTS tracks are often (though not always) louder than their DD counterparts by 4db. A volume differential between such tracks usually isn't indicative of anything wrong with the equipment.

With John S, I suspect that this is more a function of your expectations. You're getting used to a certain level, and it no longer strikes you as loud.

M.

4. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I have an 1803 and the same thing happened to me. -30 was what I usually watched my DD movies at. Now I find myself running it around -23 (after owning the reciever for a few months). The volume itself hasen't changed but my ears have adjusted to the Dynamics of the reciever and -23 is now a very nice listening volume.

5. Steve Matulich

Geez, that's amazing!
    I have the 1603 & when watching DVDs I have the volume between -5 & -10.

BTW, my room is 6 x 8 metres.

I assume because the 1804 is more powerful that you only have to have it up to -23?
    Have I got that right?

Is this the advantage of having a more powerful AVR - you don't have to crank it as much to get the same volume & the actual sound quality is better?

6. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Channel adjustment comes into it, not wattage. Flagship Denon would be exactly the same

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Speaker sensetivity,and room size,and seating position will dictate that.

8. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

ZachT wrote: >>DD has to be turned up more thatn normal.