What's new

Denon 1804 and Saving Private Ryan DTS - No sound in DTS mode (1 Viewer)

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the DTS version of Saving Private Ryan and cannot get any sound when playing the DTS soundtrack.

I don't have any problems playing DTS soundtracks from any other DVDs I own and the Denon indicates it's in DTS mode while the disc plays. I CAN get sound playing the standard Dolby 2.0 but that's obviously not acceptable.

I exchanged the disc for another and still have the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas other than just returning it and getting the Dolby Digital verion instead?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The DD version does not sound as good as the DTS. I had them both, compared them back to back and gave away the DD version.

It seems very odd that you get nothing at all when trying to play this disc. Do you have any other full bitrate DTS discs to test? Eagles:HFO, Nine Inch Nails: All That Could Have Been, etc...?

What type of digital connection are you using?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I though it was full bitrate (I don't remember) you may be correct. That is the only thing I can think of that would be different between this and any other disc, though it should not really matter. The fact that two separate discs did the same things suggests it is a hardware issue, not the disc.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but I have tried all the other DTS discs I have and they all play with no issues whatsoever.

The connection is digital coaxial and as I said the receiver indicates that it's playing back a DTS track, there just isn't any sound.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, didn't have time tonight to mess with it a bunch, but did run through some of the stuff I have w/ DTS tracks. The following is a short list of things that all played fine in DTS mode:

Almost Famous: The Bootleg Cut (Disc 2)
American Beauty: The Awards Edition
Catch Me If You Can
Gladiator: Signature Selection
Remember the Titans
Reservoir Dogs: Ten Years Special Edition
U-571: Collectors Edition

I'm at a loss here.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Chad,

If possible, try another digital coax cable or Toslink cable for your DVD player.

If possible, borrow another DVD player from a friend or dealer to see if that one will work.

If the Input Mode Selection (page 36 of the Denon 1804's owner manual) for the DVD player is set to "Auto", change it to "DTS" to see if that will work. It is possible that your 1804 is not completely picking up the DTS stream from Saving Private Ryan.

Good luck!

Michael

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I'll try one of my other DVD players tonight when I get home.

I noticed something this morning when I was looking at it again. At the beginning, when you load the disc, you get the choice of DTS or Dolby 2.0. After I choose DTS, I get a couple of screens, one w/ clouds and stuff (which I skipped) and the DTS intro screen (The Digital Experience), both are in DTS and both play w/ full sound, no problems.

It's just during the movie that I get no sound, and as I said, the receiver indicates it's in DTS mode even when set to Auto.

On Michael's suggestion I did set it to DTS mode instead of Auto and no dice.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If "The Digital Experience" works, then it is not bitrate that is the problem, since that is always 1509K (full bitrate).

That is really strange. I've never heard of something like this before.

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
You aren't by chance skipping forward through the opening credits & intro material, are you? There are certain discs that will default to DD when you do that (Eagles Hell Freezes Over dts comes to mind).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
HFO asks you up front (before you see any credits or even a menu) if you want Dolby Stereo or DTS, the same way the DTS version of SPR does, so you technically you cannot "skip" the intro, because you must make a selection for the disc to continue.

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, but even after you make your selection, if you chapter skip HFO it goes to DD, not DTS. I don't recall if SPR does the same thing.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never had my HFO switch to Dolby Stereo (no DD), and I ALWAYS skip the intro. This may have more to do with your particular player than the disc.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Well, turns out it was the DVD player. I swapped in another player and had full on DTS sound during the movie. I'm still at a loss though, the original player has played every other DTS DVD I've ever put in it, and as I said it played "The Digital Sound" with no problems on the SPR disc itself.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Chad_Henry

Stunt Coordinator
Well, the one that didn't work was a crappy old Apex 600 that I got as a gift years ago and have never gotten around to replacing. The odd thing is that despite the price the thing has been rock solid and plays stuff that other players choke on. The karaoke features have been fun at parties as well.

The one that worked is a Sony NS300 that was in my master bedroom. It has since swapped places w/ the Apex, although it will go back to the bedroom as soon as the prices on universal players come down a bit more.

John S

Senior HTF Member
MP = Microprocessor....

In your owners manual there is usually an overview of how to do it.

The problem is just strange enough that this my actually cure it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks