Denon 1803 Wattage ? 90W or 80W ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Mihok, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Okay, I purchased a Denon 1803 in Summer 2003. When purchasing it, the sales person told me it was 90 watts per channel x6. I go to the Denon web site and look at the Denon 1804 (newer model) and it says the same thing (90 watts x6). But the thing is, in every review I see of the Denon 1803, they say the reciver is only rated at 80 watts per channel. So which power rating is correct ? 80 watts or 90 watts ?

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Look in your manual.

3. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

I guess I could do that when I get home (and if I can find it). I just thought it was funny how the review sites claim it's 80 watts when Denon claims it to be 90 watts. I'm not talking about one review site, I'm talking about every single one I have read. They also say that under full 5 channel usage, the wattage drops down to 45 watts. I found this very disturbing.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Joe...most entry level receivers are like that. Once all 5 channels are running wattage drops down....

5. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

FWIW, that's a very common thing, unless you buy very high end equipment, the actual power wattage when using 5 channels will take a sharp dip.

6. John S

John S Producer

keep in mind that is with a sustained signal as well. HT and music don't really work like that.

Most of these recievers can hit there stated 2 channel number for limited peaks in music and ht even with all channels driven. It is not near the factor some make it out to be with most decent equipment.