What's new

Denon 1803 Wattage ? 90W or 80W ? (1 Viewer)

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Okay, I purchased a Denon 1803 in Summer 2003. When purchasing it, the sales person told me it was 90 watts per channel x6. I go to the Denon web site and look at the Denon 1804 (newer model) and it says the same thing (90 watts x6). But the thing is, in every review I see of the Denon 1803, they say the reciver is only rated at 80 watts per channel. So which power rating is correct ? 80 watts or 90 watts ?

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I guess I could do that when I get home (and if I can find it). I just thought it was funny how the review sites claim it's 80 watts when Denon claims it to be 90 watts. I'm not talking about one review site, I'm talking about every single one I have read. They also say that under full 5 channel usage, the wattage drops down to 45 watts. I found this very disturbing.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Joe...most entry level receivers are like that. Once all 5 channels are running wattage drops down....

Chun Lam

Agent

FWIW, that's a very common thing, unless you buy very high end equipment, the actual power wattage when using 5 channels will take a sharp dip.

John S

Senior HTF Member
keep in mind that is with a sustained signal as well. HT and music don't really work like that.

Most of these recievers can hit there stated 2 channel number for limited peaks in music and ht even with all channels driven. It is not near the factor some make it out to be with most decent equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks