denon 1803 vs. hk 325 which is bigger?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cagri, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Hello, I was almost settled for 1803 (actually I was gonna get the 1802 but couldn't find it in my local dealer), until I read several reviews comparing it to HK 325 (this is the negative thing about this forum, you can never make up your mind[​IMG] ) I have quite a large room and my main concern is power, I will be replacing my Kenwood 5050d to get more. In a previous post here i read someone quoting that Denon's 80W p/c wasn't true power in 5 channel mode. I thought the 'discrete equal power' specs meant 80W per channel in 5 (actually 6). On the other hand, HK 325 is 50W per channel which is not lots anyway. Which one more powerful really, can you give me any opinion please? Thanks

2. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

In reality they are probably quite close with all channels driven. I own an 1803 and it is a fine little receiver, but I would think it was more suited to smaller rooms/bedrooms at that power output. In my bedroom it can power my speakers very nicely, going plenty loud (109db peaks at clean volume). You may want to post the dimensions of your room and some other members may be able to help you select an appropriate unit for your needs.

3. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Here's a stupid drawing of my room and dimensions where LA represents listening area. I do not like to listen in very high volumes, but I love a deep sound. I was given a recommendation by another member of this forum that the 1803 would be a good replacement for my Kenwood krfv-5050d but he hadn't got any idea about the dims of the room... I am not very unsatisfied with the power of Kenwood but I feel that it is on the edge and a potential threat to my speakers. So I think a slightly more powerful and more musical receiver would be fine. HK seems to be not very more powerful than the kenwood in stereo mode as the kenwood is rated 100w into 6ohms when 1 channel is driven, so I assume it would deliver 35-40W to 8ohms in stereo mode, maybe even higher? Denon, if it really has equal power amps is gonna double that which should be fine...Am I correct in my assumptions given the dimensions of my room? Or any other alternative in same price range with the 1803 please?

11 meters
    ----------------------------
    ! FL c FR ! 3meters
    ! 5m !
    6m ! !-----------
    ! !
    !SL LA SR ! 3meters
    !----------------
    6meters

4. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

The drawing was just fine before I posted it. Trying again

.......11 meters
    ! FL ....c...FR ............! 3meters
    !...........................!
    6m...............!----5m-----
    ! ...............!
    !SL.... LA ....SR! 3meters
    !----------------
    ......6meters

5. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

[​IMG] anyway something like that

6. MattJP

MattJP Agent

I think that it would be hard to go wrong with either reciever...they are both good, however when face with the same choice the you are facing (a couple weeks ago) I went with the HK. The remote is better, IMO it sounds better with music, Logic 7 is pretty cool, and the power rating is probably more accurate. It also has some other features that is liked better ( I believe it will pass a higher bandwidth component signal than the denon). I would have bought the 1803 @ $444 at my local Ovation, but then I got Circuit City to price match a low price on the HK unit...so I jumped on it.
    I would not let the power rating of the HK scare you, I dont know what type of speakers you are using put it pushed my Paradigm Monitor 5's and Titans past a reasonble volume for me...and i like it LOUD.

for what it's worth...
    -Matt

7. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

.......11 meters
    ! FL ....c...FR ............! 3meters
    !...........................!
    6m...............!----5m-----
    ! ...............!
    !SL.... LA ....SR! 3meters
    !----------------
    ......6meters

Better?

8. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

[​IMG]

9. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Thanks Matt. How big is your room? By the way my mains are Kef Q35.2 s which have the same sensitivity with Paradigm Monitor 5 s but Kefs are rated 10-100w.

10. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

The HK 325 is a beast at 40lbs. Don't be dissuaded by the lower watt figure . The HK is a true high current amp pushing in the neighborhood of 40 amps I believe . It will play as loud as the Denon and sound cleaner at high volume while doing so. HK's run a little warmer than most receivers due to the high current design but the 325 does have a fan if it gets too warm.

11. MattJP

MattJP Agent

13' x 15' with a large opening to the next room (8' wide).

12. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

Well.. I am ordering the 1803. I would have liked to get the HK 325 but the price difference came out to be more than I thought ($200). Thanks for your input guys [​IMG]

13. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

good choice [​IMG]
    Enjoy [​IMG]