Denon 1803 vs H/K 320

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RyanW, Oct 26, 2002.

1. RyanW

RyanW Extra

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any opinions on which would be better the Denon 1803 at 499 or the H/K 320-Z (Refurb) at 398? I know you need an external amp for the 320 to go to 7.1, but I was planning on sticking with 5.1 for the forseable future. Is the 1803 worth the extra $$?

Thanks in advance.
    Ryan

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

How long is the warranty on the H/K refurb? You can find the Denon AVR-883 (same as AVR-1803) for about $338 - delivered. The company, NXGen claims the warranty of 1-year is honored by Denon. If you need a 2nd zone, then the Denon is the way to go. However, if you're looking to connect an external amp, the Denon won't work for you.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i'd go with the H/K, if for no other reason, because it has pre-outs. when you start looking to move towards separates down the line, you'll thank yourself for not having to buy a new processor to add external amplification. and, with the H/K, you get logic7 and Ez-set calibration. it's a no-brainer for me...

besides, i think H/K's latest receivers are absolute works of art.

4. Cooper_B

Cooper_B Agent

Doesn't the 320 have a problem with LFE level on DTS soundtracks? Off by 10dB I think.

And does anyone know if the LFE bug was fixed in the latest models?

thanks,
    Cooper