What's new

Denon 1803 - Video Bandwidth for HD Switching? (1 Viewer)

Miles

Second Unit
Hey folks,

I was just wondering if anyone knew which receivers of the new Denon line would be capable of switching HD signals... I guess opinions vary, though, on how much band-width is needed for 720p/1080i.

Thanks for any help/opinions,

Miles

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
I hope this isn't wrong to piggy back on ths thread, but I am also interested in the 1803. Does anyone know the expected street price for this receiver? If it will be near $500, does it just make sense to go with a "closeout" 2802 for $500?

Aaron

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys.

The 1803 is supposed to hit the US for $500 in September. It will allow for 27mhz of component video bandwith.

Is that enough? I'm not so sure. There are many different figures out there, but many seem to agree that HD signals run in the neighborhood of 26-33 mhz. However, the 27 mhz standard used by Denon is not considered to be a "brickwall", rather images that pass at higher frequencies simply result in a "slightly softened image. This is what I got for an answer when I spoke with the head of Denon's US product line. He seemed to be straight forward, and did not try to push me into that direction.

But, I think that the Onkyo 600 will allow for much more bandwith, and I am satisfied that the perceived power problems of that series will not effect my Polk RM6600 satellite/sub package.

But, if I could find that Denon at a good price... you never know.

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Well, according to the guy from Denon, No.

But, I suppose he isn't an unbiased source by any means.

Albert_L

Agent
I was at my local goodguys today and the 1803 is suppose to arrive on September 11. Price is $499. He said I should preorder but I didn't want to pay today.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
45mhz is the minimum to fully pass 720p with no image degredation, dependant on the quality of the parts (of course). 1080i requires less than this. At 27mhz, you'll be able to pass HDTV, but yes, there will be some slight softening of the image. Whether you'll be able to tell or not depends on the quality of your TV.

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
Whether you'll be able to tell or not depends on the quality of your TV.
This may be the key question. For all you RPTV/FPTV owners with large displays this softening I would bet is much more noticeable. However, I've got the Hitachi 32UDX10S, and while it is a very nice DV HD set, I doubt the softening will drive me nuts on a 32 inch set.

Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks