What's new

Denon 1803 keeps blowing speakers (1 Viewer)

MarcW

Agent
Well,

Energy generously agreed to ship him 2 replacement woofers for free. Once he pops those into his speakers I'm gonna go over there and calibrate his system using an SPL meter. He told me his room is about 20x12 and he does have the rears cranked up on the receiver because they are quite a bit away from his listening position. He also told me that the two front woofers blew while he was playing a music CD and not while watching a DVD. His crossover is set at 80hz on the receiver.

-MarcW

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
So he's blown a total of four woofers?

I think Energy is being quite patient and lenient with him. He is abusing that system.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
From the jist of things this is exactly what you and he need to do!

Proper set up and calibration of the entire system......
I'll bet there is nothng wrong with either the speakers or the receiver.
Of course once the drivers are replaced. Poor calibration if any, (improper speak set up inside the receiver) and pushing the volume/spl to hard, given the present situation. Obviously some thing is a scew with the 4 is it, drivers being blown with the current receiver speaker set up.

Raising the crossover to 100hz, or better yet with his room size and listening habits, 120hz might be safer. Moving the surrounds, if possible closer, and finally a complete S&V, VE, or Avia full calibration.

I certainly hope it all turns out for the good, and the blowing of drivers stops once all the above has been acomplished correctly....And then some user control with the volume knob. ;)

Good luck to you and your friend :emoji_thumbsup:
Geoff

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
My Yammy automatically cross's at 90hz I've taken mine pretty high but in my old 18x18 foot room that I had them in originally they got more than loud enough at around -30 to -25 db. As for my new place I just moved in my room has gone down to about 18x12 but has also gone from 8' to 10' ceilings as well and still sounds as good as it ever has. I'm not gonna say these speakers are the best in the world there size will always limit them, but for a speaker system at this size and price point there really isnt anything that can touch them. Eventually I'll go up to the Connosieurs founded around the C-9's but thats a little ways down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks