Denon 1803, I don't understand

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Griffith, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

The reviews and descriptions I've read say its 6.1. It says its got outputs for 6 channels plus a sub.

Yet when I look in the users manual it has outputs for 7 channels plus a sub.

did they split one of the channels or something? what gives

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

It may not be stereo. the AVR320 can provide stereo to all 7 channels(with an appropriate external amp for rear channels). What does Denon website say?

3. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I have the 1803 and here is how it breaks down. There are two sets of posts for either another room or you can connect one or two speakers for rear surround (6.1) There is however one amp powering those two rears so if you use two speakers, it's 12ohms (don't know if ohms is the right word, but you know what I mean) or 6ohms for 1 speaker like the other speakers. So total you have 6 amps (front right, front left, front center, right surround, left surround, and back surround).

Hope this helps.

4. Bill Griffith

That was what I was thinking. I figured it must have split the power alotted to one set.

However If I have 2 8 ohm speakers running off the 2 connection/single amp channel and internally the amp is set for 8 ohms, is it running these in parrallel or in series and what basically what am I going to hear at the speakers. Am I going to damage them? I'll read more in the users manual about this but any help would be appreciated. Because unless the AVR520 form H/K come way down in price, this denon is the one I will be getting.

5. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

Bill, what's your budget? J&R carries the HK 520 for $499

6. Bill Griffith

Under $400

like I said the H/K would have to come way down.

I'm hoping that because of the release of the 525, that after Christmas the 520 will come down a bit more. It's an extremely nice reciever but just a bit out of my price range.

I've already played the game to so can't really push my price up anymore. You know the one. You start with a budget of say $250 then sya hey look at this reciever I can get it for about $300, then you see another and think whats another $30. Well I'm saying less than $400 now.:b

7. Bill Griffith

on the Denon 1803, I read the protion of the Owners manual that states using A and B simultaneously. I think they worded it wrong. Maybe someone can explain this

It states

"Be carefull when using 2 pairs of surround back speakers (A and B) at the same time, since use of speakers with an impedance of 12 to 16 Ohms."

Confusing? I'm thinking they mean use speakers with an impedence of 12 to 16 Ohms when using A+B together.

But I've never seen a speaker with an Impedence over 8 Ohms.

8. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

I think the 12 to 16 ohms they mention refers to a pair of 6 or 8ohm speakers wired in series. They mention using "two pairs" of surround back speakers. I don't know why you would want to use a total of four speakers running off of that one 80 watt amp. My impressions of the whole surround back situation with the 1803 is that you could:

A)hook up one back speaker to the A terminal, using all 80 watts to power it for a 6.1 setup

B)hook up two back speakers to the A & B terminals for a 7.1 setup (same material fed to both speakers) where the wattage is split, resulting in 40w/speaker

C)hook up two speakers to the A & B terminals to use as a Zone 2 system, again 40w/speaker

B & C would result in a total impedance on that 6th amplifier section of 16ohms (8ohms + 8ohms) and so on. I think this is what they must be referring to.

9. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

If you're worried that the two speaker connectors will put your speakers in parallel and possibly harm the amp then why not just wire them in series outside of the receiver and connect the series pair to the receiver as you would a single speaker. This way you KNOW they're in series and you're not going to harm the amp. This would work especially well if you're running 4ohm speakers.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Bill, it sounds like the 1803 is just like the Pioneer 811S in that it has two binding posts for the rear speaker configuration and that internally they are wired in series and use the same amp. So, two 8 ohm speakers hooked up to these two posts will show the amp a 16 ohm load - two 6 ohm speakers will show it a 12 ohm load. This is where Denon is getting the 12-16ohm load numbers from.

cheers,

--tom

11. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

exactly