Denon 1803 Center Chan. Amp Weak ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Mihok, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Ok, to make things easy, this is my setup:

Denon 1803
    Paradigm CC-370
    Paradigm Monitor 7
    Energy Take 2.2 (rears)

My problem is this. I originally purchased the CC-270 with my setup but a month later upgraded to the CC-370 because the 270 sounded weak and muddy. I figured it was because the tweeter/mid-range was from the Performance line ..... Right away I noticed better sound from the CC-370 and I was happy ..... until now. I recently have been seeing people rant and rave about now clear the CC-370 was and I never actually thought my CC sounded super clear. I decided to do some troubleshooting and now I think my center channel amp in my Denon reciever has a problem. When I use my CC-370 as a main (hooked it up to my "front left" binding posts) it comes alive. I couldn't believe how good it sounded. then I plugged it back into the "Center" binding post and it became weak and muddy again. The volume is almost half of what is produced from the mains. All testing was done in 5 Channel Stereo mode. And just for kicks I plugged the CC into the "rear channel right" binding post and again it sound amazingly clear with nice volume.

Now this is where things get funny ... I pull out the SPL meter and run a few "test tones" from the Denon (and also on the "THX optomizer" found on my Star Wars EP2 disk) and the results were normal. The SPL reading from the CC (hooked up to the CC bing post) was identical to my 2 mains and rears. No problems it seems ...

So does 5 Channel Stereo on my Denon limit the power to the center on purpose ???? Does the cc amp have a problem ??? I assumed 5 Chan Stereo meant equal power to all channels ???.

Also note that all speakers were tested with the "Large" setting.

So should I return this thing ??? I've owned it for about 9 months. It's still under warranty but my dealer said it would take 7-12 weeks to fix. That's a long time to live with out HT but it'll be worth it if this is indeed a problem with my reciever.....

Any thoughts ???

2. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Just did some more testing in Dolby PL2 and DTS 5.1 ....

The center sounds fine .... maybe it's just an issue with 5 Channel Stereo. If that's the case then I'll live with it.

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

My centre channel also sounded crap in my setup in "5 channel stereo" with my Denon AVD-2000. This is with a £700 centre and £800 poweramp. Really flat, like reducing treble to minimum. A bit like a single driver Bose speaker. Fine with Pro-Logic & DD.

Nothing to do with power- just the processing in that mode.

Don't use that mode. I can't understand why they messed up that DSP mode[​IMG] Dunno if that DSP variation is the same for both- but it sounds like it.

Replaced it with a Lexicon [​IMG]

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Serious test should never be done using a DSP, which is what 5ch stereo is. In 5 ch stereo the center has a mix of left and right. I use 5ch stereo when I play DDR, and I hear very little coming from the center channel (on my 3803). So I don't think it has anything to do with your speakers or receiver. It is just the way 5ch stereo sounds.

Does the center speaker sound better/normal with everything else?

5. Joe Mihok

Joe Mihok Second Unit

Yeppers, it sounds fine in every other mode. I don't really think of 5 Channel Stereo as a DSP mode ... but I guess I should. I just figured it was equal power to all channels so it would be a good test bench .... guess not.

Thanks for your feedback guys. I can rest easy now [​IMG]

I hardly ever use 5 Chan mode anyways ..... maybe for the odd mono movie or hockey game.

I must say though, I'm happy with my CC-370 but I'm not "blown away" by it. It's perfectly timbre matched with the M7's and I LOVE my m7's ...... but the CC-370 just ... isn't the same. Maybe one day I'll invest in M7's all around [​IMG].

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Give the 370 time. It will get better. The longer the speaker breaks in, the better it sounds. It takes Paradigm speakers a minimum of 100 hours to break in, and they will continue to improve for hundreds of hours past that.

I had the same feelings as you when I upgraded my 370 to a Studio-CC. At first it didn't sound any better than the 370, but now I am starting to hear the differnce and I am falling in love with it.