What's new

Denon 1803 as a pre-amp? (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
Right now I have the H/K 520 with klipsch, Acurus amps. Thinking of going to the 1803 to add DD-EX and hopefully the donon won't shut off when it feels like it. I've never owned denon before, is this a good choice to replace my H/K 520? Is there anything i'll be losing besides L7 in your opinion?

Craig

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Craig,

The 1803 does not have preouts except for the Sub. You either have to go to last years model 2802 and up. Or go up to the 3803 in this years models. The 1802 had preout for LRC but doesnt have the processing your looking for.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Craig:
If you're simply going to use the receiver as a preout, you might want to consider the Pioneer 811S. It has all of the latest decoding including DD EX. It comes pretty well optioned for an entry level receiver including a full set of preouts and a learning remote. You should be able to get one for around $300 USD.
The biggest complaint about the 811S is the amps, but that wouldn't be a problem for you. You might want to do a thirty day trial run and see what you think.
If you are looking for more ideas, check out the buyer's guide's to HT Receivers at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
I hope that helps,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks