Denon 1803 - $450 shipped!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joey Jenkins, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Joey Jenkins

Joey Jenkins Auditioning

Been waiting for the 1803, and I just got it shipped to me for $450 from goodguys.com! Using the coupon code (10% off) from Dealios, I entered it in the cart screen, and it took $50 off!
    Great deal if you have been waiting for this receiver!

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I'm assuming you got this from goodguys.com?

3. Joey Jenkins

Joey Jenkins Auditioning

woops, yep, goodguys.com

4. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

Hate to brag, but it so very rare that I get a better price over here in Europe than in the U.S. The 1803 is available for $380 for those lucky few who don't have to pay tax.
    Too bad I just bought the 1802. Hmmm, maybe I can sell it....mmmm....upgraditis....

5. Yong Chan

Yong Chan Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Denon 1803 from a local dealer in Dallas, I should have it by tomorrow. I got it for $450 too. Anyways, I recently bought the Onkyo txsr 600. Going to compare the two. I know everyone has already discussed both these receivers here. For the slow person here, can some of the experts discuss the individual merits of both and head to head.

Thanks.

6. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Yong,
    Where in Dallas were you able to find it?

Chris S.

7. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Hey guys in the dallas area one o my bros down there is a manger in a new ultimate store so if you need some help with some deals let me know

8. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Sure Kevin, if he will match Docdvd's price on the Pioneer elite 45tx receiver(about $900) and the 45 dvd player (about $450) I'll take him up on it.

9. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

Yong:

While I am by no means an expert, I've been looking at the Onkyo 600 and Denon 1803 very closely throughout this summer. Each receiver offers component video switching but the Denon only has 27 mhz. of video bandwith while the Onkyo has 50 or 60 mhz. (which should handle most consumer uses) The Onkyo has on screen display while the Denon does not. Although, the 1803 should have a stronger amp than the Onkyo as many folks report the 600 to have an inferior amp in comparison to previous Onkyos at that price. Also, the Onkyo remote seems to be a bit better, however it seems Denon has redesigned their remotes for the xx03 line of receivers.

I'm looking forward to your comparison Yong, as these are two receivers I am considering...

10. Albert_L

Albert_L Agent

I too have been eagerly waiting the arrival of the 1803 but now that it has been released I am a little disappointed. I guess I expected more similar specs to the 2802. The OSD and no pre-outs are the two big ones. Although the remote has improved.

I listened to one at my local goodguys but couldn't compare it to the Onkyo 600 since they don't carry it. Relatively speaking, it did outperform (IMO) the 1ES and 2ES in both HT and music. Although, I believe the 2ES has more features.

I am still waiting for a comparison to the Onkyo 600. Please let us know how they perform against each other.

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Great feature set (except lack of pre-outs ), no power....
    I have to crank it way up to drive satellites in "small" mode.... Nicer remote than last years...

12. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Albert,
    The Onyko is only 35watts per channel with 5 channels running.
    Denon is very close to specs.
    Onyko does not come close to Denon, re: 500, 600, 700 models

13. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Jon,
    It is the Onkyo power supply that is lacking. It cannot produce the rated watts, since the power supply cannot handle the watts. When 5 channels kick in the receiver reduces to 35watts. In my opinion skip some extra's like on screen and go for what is important.

14. Yong Chan

Well, I set up the Denon 1803 last night. My set up includes the JBL NSP1 and the Sony wma 40. I have to agree with the previous posts. The Denon outperforms the Onkyo IMO as a newbie. It does sound better with less distortion, perfect for my small bookshelves. Not that it matters, but I like the way it looks compared to the Onkyo.
    Now to my complaints...[​IMG] the remote is terrible. I read and reread the stupid manual to see how access it's learning capability. Then it occurred to me that it's not a learning remote. Yeah, I'm a newbie. Anyways, irrespective of that, the remote still sucks. When I programmed it to operate my Sony DVD and my Hughes DBS, I discovered that it does everything well, but the enter button. This means that I can scroll through the Direct TV onscreen guide, but it won't let me select. I can scroll through a DVD menu, but I can't select it. Someone tell me if they have this problem as well, or if my remote is just defective. At any rate, none of my components have a good universal remote either, so I might have to invest in one. I was hoping for a good remote with a receiver.
    At any rate, I haven't had enough time to really play around with it...I am on call. I will keep messing with it, and I look forward to hearing everyone else's input. Jon, so far I am happier with the Denon compared with the Onkyo.

15. Jon Duke

I understand your point Norman, but I really need to see if the Denon's amp will have the kind of power that would put the Onkyo to shame. I'm just very skeptical at this point of using a receiver (1803) that only offers 27 mhz. of component video bandwith.

Each has its own positives and negatives, but if Yong, or others, find the Denon to have an amp similar to the Onkyo, then my choice is clear.

16. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Both the denon and Onkyo's mentioned are week and I would only consider them if your running them with small ,efficient speakers....the remote on the denon is (if it works, I've had a similar prob w/1603 remote) is actually an improvement on last year's....as for component switching if you have a need for 2 HD throughputs on your rcvr ,you should probably ask yourself why...does the tv lack 2 inputs? do you have 2 HD sources? shouldn't you be looking for a better rcvr?
    I have noticed the disturbing trend that co.'s like denon are even putting these kind of features on a $500 piece at the expense (obviously) of quality.....
    there are only a few rcvrs that pass on-screen display through component out any way and if you use the switcher then your tv input will have the same video adjustments for 2 differant sources .......

17. Yong Chan

Matt makes a good point. I really don't care that much about the component bandwidth, since I run my components straight to my TV. Besides, only my DVD has component connections

18. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Young & Jon,
    Check out the MX-500 it is amazing. I have two one for the bedroom and one for the family room. The best price is from surfremote.com

I had the Onkyo 600 tested at a lab since it blew my B&W speakers. That is where I got the 35w per channel /5 channels running. I have not tested the 1803 but Denon test reports have been close their specs in the past.

as far a component video what is the downside on 27mhz?
    can you go direct to the TV anyway?

19. Jon Duke

20. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Has anyone contacted 6ave.com to see what the latest prices are on the 1803? Would be curious to see how low their prices are compared to everyone else.