Denon 1803+1805 vs. Yamaha YHT900 vs HK 325

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rokzi, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    I need some serious help here. I'ts my first time getting an HT and did some research, unfortunately not enough. Since I only found these forums recently, so I need some advice.

I was deciding between the Denon AVR1803+DVM1805 vs the Yamaha YHT900 and went for the Yammie since it was cheaper with all 6.1 speakers included also. Both of them have the features I want and maybe some extra (it's always desirable to have the ability to do even if you don't need it right now).

DD 5.1/EX, DTS/ES, PL+PLII
    Component Video Switching (besides the DVD, I plan to hook up my old LD player and an HDTV receiver).
    6 ch analog in
    at least 2 digital inputs.

I actually tried the YHT-500 before I purchased the YHT900 and for some reason, the YHT500 sounded better than the 900.

I wanted the Denon but since I haven't had any Denon nor tried one ever, so it's really bugging and my wife also wanted the Denon. Since I don't read much about Yamahas in forums like these I may just go ahead and return them and get the Denon.

I did notice that the Yamaha DVD player has 6ch analog outs and OTMH I think it can play DVD-Audios. I'm not sure how many DVD-Audios are out there yet but in the future I'd get some if I have a DVD-Audio player, but it's not on top of my list.

How's the Yamaha spkrs vs. the Energy Take5.2. Also I might go for the JBL NSP11 since most people here tend to go for the JBL rather than the other.

I'm also considering HK325 receiver but I don't know how it compares to the 1803, and I like matching components (brand)but it doesn't really have to, right? I would have to go through a "discussion" with the wife (Wife-acceptance-factor).

I'll be setting the HT up in my living room.. 16x16 with one side open (left/kitchen) and a 12 foot vaulted ceiling.

I set my budget originally @ $600+/- for the whole HT (HTIBs) but it seems I won't get a decent one for that price and they probably would last as long as I would like them so I'm willing to put up somewhere around the $1300~$1700 range, that's including the AV/5-disc Progr. DVD + Speaker System + SW.

Also need to mention that I'll use it for both HT and listening to music.

Please advice. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!!

2. mike_doyle

mike_doyle Agent

I am no expert but here is my take.... First if you dont like the sound of the Yammie take it back. Second Yammie's do an excellent job of HT. They are not as musical as others. H/K is more musical then most and also does a great job of HT. I liked the Denon 1803 best for HT but since i listen to Music about 60% i bought a H/K AVR 320. All my listening was with Paradigm speakers.
    In the end i preferred the sound of the H/K for music so that drove my choice. (as well as the 7.1 outputs for future upgradeability) [​IMG]
    Bottom line... listen to all (at home if you can) and decide what sounds best to you.
    The energy speakers are very nice speakers from what I hear.

3. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    I'm definitely taking the Yammie back. So now that's out of the equation.. I have to decide between H/K and Denon.

I'm drooling over H/K's 7.1 but I don't think I won't have much use for them.

This past year I've actually spent more (major) time watching movies than listened to my CDs. I used to listen to loud surround CD music all the time but since the gaining popularity of HTs I've been swayed toward them as well.

I do appreciate those DSP settings but if the Denon has some DSP settings and the sound (music) quality isn't that far from H/Ks then I think I'd go for the Denon... I'd like to mention that I like H/K's front panel design with it's multi-colored lights (higher WAF) but it's also a couple hundred $$$ more, so.. is there a REALLY big difference with the sound quality between the H/K and Denon? If not then I'm settled with the 1803.

4. mike_doyle

mike_doyle Agent

From my auditioning the Denon vs. the H/K i would give the Denon the edge in HT and the H/K the edge in music... again it comes down to taste... If you wont be able to make use of the 6th or 7th channel right away you can get an AVR 320 for less then an 1803 i think.. or the AVR 520 is on special for the board here from one call. $496 shipping included i believe.

The other thing with the 1803 that was a factor was the lack of pre outs. Although i dont intend on buying an external amp ...who knows what i will be thinking in 6 months... i wanted the option. I would have loved to grab the 520 because you can ad an amp for your front towers and use the internal amp to run the center and 2 surround/ 2 rears. (The beauty of main ins).

Try to listen to both with similar speakers (if not identical) to what you are going to buy. You cant go wrong with either but I am sure you will have a preference for one or the other after you hear them.

Mike

5. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    'appreciate your responses, mate! If you can just hang a bit more, I'm nearly there...
    I was concerned about the 1803's lack of preouts but thought I'd let it go.. but like you "...who knows what i will be thinking in 6 months..."[/] and though though up to now I still can't think of how I could possibly use it 6 months or 1yr down the road... I still think it's a desirable option.
    One thing that was leaning me towards the Denon is that Denon has a 5-disc DVD player and I still have to find one by HK. I (and my wife) prefer to have the same brands for the HT components but we do understand that it's not mandatory doesn't always have to be.
    On the other hand, the 1085 doesn't support DVD-Audio and I'd like that option too. So if I eventually decide to get a DVD-Vid/Aud player I'm most likely to get another brand (Denon's DVD-Audio player is really up there... as far as I'm concerned), so I may or may not have the same brand for the two pieces.
    The 520/320 sound like really good deals and I'm like itching to pull the trigger now and get them. Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any info in HK's web site though. I think the 525/325 are upgrades to the 520/320, and that the 525's only obvious edge over the 325 is power (wattage). So what's the difference of the 325 vs 320 vs 520.
    the 525's out of the budget so I'm not even considering it, since I still have to get the DVDplyr and some decent budget 6.1 speakers
    I'm not sure where I read or did not read that the 320 not having DD-EX/DTS-ES support? If that's the case then I'm back to the 1803 vs. 325.
    1803 = cheaper than 325, has matching Denon DVD player, BUT... no preouts, no DVD-Audio
    HK325 + 5-disk DVDplayer, preferably DVD-Audio, I( haven't really shopped around for the DVD plyr yet), nicer aesthetics, probably as good as Denon for HT, better than Denon for Music, 7.1 channels.. feature rich,
    BUT... $200 bucks more (will have to the extra $$ from somewhere, maybe skip a few weeks of lunches [​IMG] ), no matching 5-disc DVD player, which may or may not matter at all.
    Sooooo.... anyone out there who'd like to give me the nudge (like... oooh just get the... and this )????
    I'd really like to have this resolved by this weekend (I've been agonizing for two weeks... enough already!!!)
    [​IMG] and I still have to shop for speakers...
    Thanks in advance...

6. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    I just found out that Costco sells the HK 525 for $699 ($999 at Circuit City, authorized dealer chain) and the HK 325 for $499 ($799 at CC). Now that pretty much almost pushes me to get the HK... now if I can only get CC to match Costco's price... since I just prefer stores than buying stuff online, specially big, bulky and expensive stuff. (Actually I just couldn't wait to get my hands on-em e he he he)
    I'm assuming they don't, so it'll still be nice if someone responds to my most recent posting just prior this one.

7. mike_doyle

mike_doyle Agent

8. Jeff Ery

Jeff Ery Stunt Coordinator

Soooo many issues to deal with at once , but here goes.....
    I don't know what rcvr is in the Yammie yht900 package but the models that would be compared (usually) to the 1803 would be the rxv630 /530 and their htr equivalents are 5550/5560(?).....in the case of the the rxv630 ,I believe it to be superior in sound quality to the 1803 for music ,ht, and balls....I sell both lines....as for dvd-a, Yammie has a dvdc920 5-disc changer with 6 burrr-browns for@$399....as for yammie speakers (or most any brand found in an htib pkg)they are not very good ,do get a real brand like the take5.2's,etc. ..As for learning here and on other sites the preferance for denon and hk, understand that it is for most of the same reasons that many direct-to-you-speaker brands are favored here, that is to say this is due to the proliferation of e-tailers selling at a discount...the brands that are most heavily favored are so favored often because their perceived value is higher due to the discount factor...Let your ears, in comparitive blind tests, be your guide, not "Johnny-bargain-hunters" wallet ....There are many fine small speaker packages in your price range from Energy, boston acoustics, Mirage, etc...LISTEN TO THEM COMPARITIVELY, YOU'LL BE AMAZED THAT YOU MAY PREFER A SOUND THAT OTHERS DO NOT......

9. Rokzi

Rokzi Stunt Coordinator

Rodel
    Thank You all guys for all your insightful advice.
    I finally got the Denon 1803/1805 + the JBL NSP1II speakers. I had to get the speakers separately from a local dealer but I got them at a discounted price, so in effect, I got them at about the same price if I purchased them online (shipping) plus I got them right away!!!

I did lose some features that the Yammie had but I did notice some improvement in the sound... I think its the speakers.

I do have a problem though. The 1805 (DVD player) seems to take a long to read (load) my CDs... and the player hics and skips at the beginning everytime I select a different track or disc. At times it'll do that even at the middle of playing a CD or DVD. I tried a lot of my CDs (some two-days old) and it's the same for every one of them. It also happens to a few of my DVDs.

It's like the pickup lens is dirty so I used a Scotch DVD lens cleaner but it's still the same.

I'd like to know if anyone else had the same problem with the 1805 because I'm not use if this unit is just defective or it's a flaw of the model line, so thinking of exchanging it for a different brand/model if that's the case.