Denon 1802 vs. Anything under $500.00

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aron Jarr, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Aron Jarr

Aron Jarr Auditioning

I am looking for a receiver for my father. He doesn't want to spend a lot of money, but wants a good value. I have a Yamaha RX-795a that I love, so he is naturally leaning towards Yamaha. Even though the RX-V800 is no longer being made, we have found them on the web. Anyway, does anyone have some reccomendations on some models to look and listen to? He has purchased a Klipsch Quintet system with a SW. I want to make sure he is getting the best bang for the buck.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Aron

2. Vasanth B

Vasanth B Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what you are asking...your post subject is Denon but you seem to prefer Yamaha?

I would personally pick a Denon or Onkyo above the Yamaha. Yamaha has a brighter sound that many enjoy (including you) but I feel it would probably over emphasize treble when paired with the Klipsch speakers. Klipsch uses horn-loaded drivers which by themselves are described as bright. I think the Denon would be the best choice followed by Onkyo. Denon has a laid-back sound which should balance out the Klipsch speakers well.

3. Chad Parks

Chad Parks Stunt Coordinator

For what it's worth, I'm driving my Klipsch Quintets with an Onkyo 494 (and a sub), and I'm very happy with the sound quality.

But I've always like Klipsch. YMMV