Denon 1802 vs 2802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DenisL, Jan 5, 2002.

1. DenisL

DenisL Auditioning

I need an AV receiver with preouts. I want to use the preout to drive the front channels through my main sound system. My main speakers are Magneplanars. These are very large speakers that are supposed to be almost inpossible to match to a center speaker. I plan to use the Phantom option in order not to have to use a center speaker.

The AV receiver will do the decoding and drive the subwoofer and the rear channels.

For such a setup, would the Denon 2802 bring significant advantages over the 1802?

Any alternative AV receiver suggestion will be appreciated.

Replacing my main system with the AV receiver is not an option.

2. Ashok

Ashok Agent

Depends on what you want. The Denon 1802 has pre-outs for all channels except the rear surrounds; all that you need and nothing that you don't. I believe it is pretty much the cheapest well-regarded receiver that will give you pre-outs.

You said that the receiver will "drive the subwoofer". It can't. The subwoofer probably has its own power supply.

Stepping up to the Denon 2802 will give you pre-outs for the rear channels, plus a sixth channel for 6.1 sound. It will also give you more inputs, most notably component video switching, and extra power.

As for other alternatives, I suggest looking into Harman/Kardon receivers. The AVR320 will compete with the Denon 2802, but going any lower than that will cause you to lose your pre-outs. The cheapest Onkyo with pre-outs is the 696, probably a bit more than the Denon 2802. The Yamaha RX-V1200 is also more expensive. It's hard to recommend Marantz receivers given all the problems that they have.

If you aren't looking for the latest and greatest features (component video switching, DPL2), you could check out the Outlaw 1050.

I would suggest sticking with the Denon or the Harman Kardon.

3. DenisL

DenisL Auditioning

I am French. Sorry I used the wrong word when I said that the 1802 will power the subwoofer. I should have said will drive the subwoofer (hope this word is better)

Thanks for the answer. It exactly addresses my questions.

4. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

imho ,using a 2 channel amp(while a nice dose off balls for your magnapans) will unbalance your system...I think people should mind the fact that in multi-channel system, all of the amps and speakers should be identical