What's new

Denon 1802 Volume Question (1 Viewer)

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Why does the volume on my 1802 go from -64 to 18?

In the good old days volume was meassured on a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being the loudest. If you wanted something really loud maybe you had special equiptment that went to 11.

What are the new numbers meant to represent? (Don't just say db, I read that in the manual.)

I'm especially interested in what the 0 on this scale is meant to represent. Its pretty damn loud.

Any form of explanation would be appreciated.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
The idea is that you can calibrate your system so that it's at reference level when the volume is at "00". That way, when you turn down to "-15", you know that you're listening at 15 dB under reference.

There really isn't a reference level per se in CD audio, but for Dolby Digital, reference level is:

up to 105 dB peaks in any one channel

up to 115 dB peaks in the LFE channel

Hope that helped.

Ten_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Thank u richard that does clarify it. With CDs, it gets way too loud in the negative teens, I don't even make it to '00.' If I listen to a dvd at 00 level will it be as loud as the cd?

DevinL

Grip
Yes, when you listen to movies, 105db is plenty loud. It would probably even be louder than your local movie theater. Definitely not recommended if you value your hearing. Personally, I have the 1802 and listen between -15 and -30 on the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks