Denon 1802 Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tedesco, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Chris Tedesco

Chris Tedesco Second Unit

I just purchased the 1802 to replace my H/K AVR55 and the difference is pretty substantial when watching DVD's. I'm highly pleased.

However, I'm trying to find out why when watching regular T.V. or listening to CDs, the subwoofer is very passive.(actually non-existent) At this time, I'm using composites (rca) for T.V. and CD. Do I need to "turn on" the Subwoofer through the receiver? I didn't notice this at all with the H/K.

I've gone through the manual and maybe I've missed something, but any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Phuong

Phuong Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

What kind of TV are you using? Is it a stereo television? How are you hooking it up to your receiver? It might also depend if individual channels are broadcasting in stereo or mono. Make sure your TV connection is using the regular stereo mode on the Denon and not any DIRECT modes that would bypass the receiver's bass management and disable the subwoofer output. We'd probably need more info on your end before we could really give any more help.

3. Chris Tedesco

I have a Sony Trinitron 32 inch. It's stereo. I have a Dish Network receiver that I'm running rca's to the Denon. I'm trying to use Pro Logic II when I'm watchin T.V. All channels sound great, however Sub doesn't work. I'm figeting around right now to see what I'm doing wrong.

4. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

The subwoofer must be enabled on the receiver and the front speakers should be set to small. Look at the top of page 19 of your 1802's manual.

5. Chris Tedesco

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Here's the issue.

It doesn't look like you can set these for different inputs correct.

Meaning, I would like to keep my front speakers to "large" when watching DVD's. It just sounds better, plus the sub is still working.

On T.V. and CD's, I would like to set my speakers to "small" because if set to "large", the sub does not work at all.

So it looks like I will have to manually switch them when I'm watching either DVD's or regular T.V.

6. Boka

Boka Stunt Coordinator

"So it looks like I will have to manually switch them when I'm watching either DVD's or regular T.V. "

I have a somewhat similar problem. I like the sound of my sub for HT but not for music. Only way to take it out of the mix seems go change the settings every time.

Let me know if you find a better way.

Maybe on heck of a Macro in a programmable remote.

7. Russ Dunn

Russ Dunn Extra

I had the 1802 for 3 weeks and just took it back to wait for the 1803. The Sub worked fine for me when listening to music or watching TV... Except in Pro Logic II mode. My fronts set to large w/ Sub on set to Norm. (set to small made no difference) In 5 Channel Stereo the Sub would be on then when I'd switch it to PLII it would drop out. (no low end) I don't know that much about PLII, & just thought that's the way it is.
    http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/1802INST.pdf
    It doesn't say that on P.19 It says that if setting to large or small... if small then all sound below 80hz will go to the Sub. That doesn't mean it won't work if set to large.
    Does your Sub play in 5 Ch. Stereo?
    Russ

8. Chris Tedesco

My sub does play in 5 channel stereo.

A funny thing, now when watching T.V., the sub does work. This occured after I set the fronts to small.

What is weirder is that when watching DVD's in Digital or DTS, the speakers are set to large. I didn't have to manually do it. The sub still pumps out great. So I guess the 1802 does remember the settings. This is perplexing.

9. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

I have a related question.

Right now my 1802 is a two channel sterio. I'm hooking up the rest of the speakers and the DVD player once my tv stand is finished.

Anyway, as the manual says, I use PLII when I have a CD recorded in Dolby Surround. If I use PLII when listening to a regular CD (no special recording), it sounds like somone is constantly turning the volume knob up and down. I'm assuming this is normal, as my Dolby Surround CD's sound phenominal.

I see that you use PLII when watching tv. Should my regular CD's sound like this?